Normal for Stihl chain tensioner to have lots of play?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin_1992

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey y'all thanks for obliging me again. Bought my new MS261 last month and noticed another funny thing. My nearly 2 decade old MS250's chain tensioner seemed rock solid before I sold it. The new mS261's though seems to have a lot of play.

Is this normal? Tried to show it in 2 videos. I saw a video on YouTube of a guy replacing his and the new one was so tight he had to hammer it in! This one will just fall right out should I remove the screw.

Looks like the white plastic piece on the right is very loose. But even when holding that down there's a lot of play.

Is it normal? Can you tell I'm a worrier?ha. Thanks all

Attachments

• PXL_20230315_122112958.TS.mp4
    25.6 MB
  • PXL_20230315_122011217.TS.mp4
    23.6 MB
Yeap,it seems that it has a lot of play .But most of it is perpendicular to the chain adjustment axis,so I think it won't really affect the tensioning of the chain .

Yeap,it seems that it has a lot of play .But most of it is perpendicular to the chain adjustment axis,so I think it won't really affect the tensioning of the chain .
Yup true but it can make it annoying when installing and removing the bar. Can't figure out why it's so loose though? Case is magnesium and brand new...
Take it out and flip it over,
What do you mean exactly? seems to only fit in one way but i'll take a look.

This is common on the stihl clones but not normal on a real stihl.
The fix is to make a tiny bushing for the end of the adjuster so it fits tight in the case.
Bummer... this is definitely a real Stihl from a real dealer, ha. Can you elaborate a bit more? Or is there any source on how to do this? I'd like to make this right

Thanks @NSEric . Wonder if this is my issue - bummer it's happening on an OEM brand new saw... this is the second minor issue I've found already.

I'll tear into mine after work tonight and see if this could fix it. I'm wondering if I could just instead use a thick o-ring rather than brake line. Enough to take that slop out... still odd that the plastic square piece on the right side is so loose too though. Maybe I'll shove some rubber in there to tighten that up too. Shouldn't have to do this on a new saw though!!!

I'm assuming unfortunately it's the way the case is milled out (overly large) and not the tensioner parts being too small. will post back later. thanks.

A little bar oil and sawdust get in it and it will tighten up
check to see if the o ring is missing under the gear
it should never be an issue , but try the dealer and see what he says
I most likely could get it replaced, but would use up a lot of brownie points lol

Thanks for the response @dmb2613. Good point, a bit of dirt should tighten up clearances ha. I am probably going to cut a chunk of plastic out of some scrap and stuff it in there to tighten things up too. Why not? Not like I plan to remove the tensioner unit anytime.

I'll look for that o-ring too. Could very well be gone - noticed that in the parts diagram today.

I hate going to the dealer... 1 hour round trip and they constantly make me drop things off for 2-3 weeks, only to "find no problem". not worth it!

Heck I make some customers leave their stuff too, as they what too look over my shoulder all the time lol
My knowledge took a lone time to get, dont want to give it to everyone lol

New Stihl MS261 - uneven chain tension
Yup true but it can make it annoying when installing and removing the bar. Can't figure out why it's so loose though? Case is magnesium and brand new...

What do you mean exactly? seems to only fit in one way but i'll take a look.

Bummer... this is definitely a real Stihl from a real dealer, ha. Can you elaborate a bit more? Or is there any source on how to do this? I'd like to make this right
I meant, take it out, flip it over, take a pic or two, then put the pics up here.

There is something very wrong with it. The plastic of it looks new.

I will say, was watching this Stihl demo video on tensioning and looks like the tensioner on theirs also has play. Look at 2:51 onward

The plastic doesn't look OEM, as well as the plastic support at the tip. This one has normal movement. I had earlier assumed that it used the same adjuster as the 271, but I was wrong. It uses the one on the ms250, etc..
adj250 006.JPG

Back