Normal for Stihl chain tensioner to have lots of play?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to disagree with you but it looks like the parts are different between the 250 and 261...

Ms261 is 1125 640 1900 (1125 B printed on mine) and MS250 is 1123 640 1900 (1123 printed on your OEM pic) so I do think they are different right?

1125 664 1400 is the plastic piece on right too for an ms261, googling makes it look like the right oem piece?

Thanks for sharing your fancy secret screens! Wish I had access to that haha.

I agree, just seems way too sloppy to me too. I'm going to rip into it as soon as I get home and check. My only hunch was that maybe the o-ring is missing? Though I'm a bit confused on where that sits in the unit...

Only other thing I can think of is that the metal case is milled out a hair too large, and it's causing the slop. No fixing that I'd assume...

Yes unfortunately this is brand new from a dealer...

Got home, can't figure out where the slop is coming from. Yes, the white plastic piece on the right is a bit loose but even holding that down doesn't change much.

O ring there and all parts are Stihl oem.

Only thing I can think of is the fact the tensioner metal piece has play just between it and the threaded portion . Check out this video.

Hate dealing with these guys. They don't seem to know anything and make me leave it for 3 weeks only to say there's no issue. I've dealt with similar issues.

Figured if we couldn't figure it out on here then they won't be able to.

It'd be great if someone else with an MS261 would be able to help out and show some pics and video.

It's either the fact that the metal bar with the rod on it has too much play on the threads, or that it's "too thin" and isn't right in the track made by the metal case.

Either way only option seems to be to replace that metal piece and see if it helps

It all looks normal to me. It can’t go anywhere with the bar plate mounted. The main thing is that the adjusting head works smoothly when you tighten the chain.
Thanks, I needed to hear that. I'm kind of thinking the same at this point - she works, so I'll go with it. Just didn't want it only get sloppier down the line or find I've got a bigger issue. I'll still order a little tension plate for 9 bucks and swap it in just to be sure...

after watching the videos posted earlier, the slop is not caused by the gears having too much play - they sit tight. It's just the plate that is wiggling up and down and around. Makes it a bit annoying installing the bar after cleaning though as it'll fall off the tensioner...
is this the same saw that the chain had tight spots? if so you may have sprung the adjusted some fooling with the chain
It is. Wish I could blame myself but it was like this from the get go, before I tinkered.

Anybody else thinking the same thing, that he shoulda bought a comparable Echo or Husqvarna?
Ha... I've always been a Stihl guy but this is bothering me big time.

Back