Northern Red Oak Near-ish to House

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooktree

Reaction score
I planted a Northern Red Oak in my front yard last fall, diagonally from the corner about 20 feet from the house. The spread of the tree, from what I can find, is listed anywhere from 40' to 75' with the average around maybe 50'. At the time, the place that I bought the tree from had 45 feet listed as the spread. I was considering whether or not I should consider moving the tree outward another 10' from the corner of the home to be 30 feet from the corner instead. Pros and cons to moving a young tree? Am I overthinking this as it may or may not be a problem 30-40 years from now? I need some opinions. Thanks!

It's approximately 12'-15' tall with maybe a 2.5" inch trunk on it. No, it hasn't yet budded out completely but I would expect it to within the next few weeks.

I have a gorgeous oak tree within 15 feet of my house. Very glad it's there. The shade helps keep things cool and I don't have any trouble with the roots. The lean of the tree is away from the house, so it's not likely to fall on it. I trim any branches that get too close to the house.
I think 20' away is fine, especially since it's near the corner.

I have a gorgeous oak tree within 15 feet of my house. Very glad it's there. The shade helps keep things cool and I don't have any trouble with the roots. The lean of the tree is away from the house, so it's not likely to fall on it. I trim any branches that get too close to the house.
I think 20' away is fine, especially since it's near the corner.
BINGO. Plus, I kill everything i try to grow, anyway, so don't risk harming it with a transplant. Never take my advice, either.

I planted a Northern Red Oak in my front yard last fall, diagonally from the corner about 20 feet from the house. The spread of the tree, from what I can find, is listed anywhere from 40' to 75' with the average around maybe 50'. At the time, the place that I bought the tree from had 45 feet listed as the spread. I was considering whether or not I should consider moving the tree outward another 10' from the corner of the home to be 30 feet from the corner instead. Pros and cons to moving a young tree? Am I overthinking this as it may or may not be a problem 30-40 years from now? I need some opinions. Thanks!
I married a young thing who insisted I leave as many trees in place as I cleared our building lot years ago. She said it would keep the house cooler in the summers from the shade. Great idea. Trying to build a house while avoiding trees every three feet took a little longer, but the new air conditioners are kickin.

Back