Norwood or Woodmizer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WoodMizer has a 'demo locator' thing on their website. I'm on the list as well as a LOT of others, I sure there is someone that can give the run down that lives closer to you.

http://woodmizer.com/us/Services/Find-a-Local-Sawyer

Pick your state. Then look at the icons on the right side....circled word 'demo' is what you're looking for.

Scott (let it snow) B
Thanks found a guy next county. Going to see him

Many good points have been brought up. Since this aspect hasn't been mentioned, I will chime in...

There is a world of difference in a Norwood Hydraulic mill and an LT40HD. Yes, the Norwood can have hydraulic capability, but when you look at one in person, IMO it is not very robust. Hydraulics take a beating and when you look at just the physical size of the cylinders and the components they operate, the durability just isn't there. It may be OK for Pine and smaller diameter hardwoods (like they have in Canada), but you start handling 24"+ oak logs from the Appalachian Mtn's, the life expectancy is going to be much shorter. The backstops are weak and the chain turner leaves ALOT to be desired both in function and the materials it's built out of.

If you were to compare strictly on price alone, an LT35 would be right inline with the price of the Norwood w/ hydraulics. The WM is built MUCH heavier and the durability is far greater. You also have the option of a debarker too. The blade guides are far better, more accurate tensioning system along with many other little things that can add up quick. But those little things can make a big difference in your long term investment. The downside is the WM can be a more complex machine to work on, depending on what/how may options it has. Down the road, a basic LT40HD walk along with no setworks is going to have fewer headaches than an LT40HD remote with all the bells and whistles.

The best advice I can give is find a fully hydraulic Norwood and LT40 and observe them both operate. It will also give you a good chance to look at the meat-n-taters of how they function and what they're are built out of. Then you'll be able to see with your own eyes what I'm trying to pass along. Looking at a mill without hydraulics would be like shopping for a 1 ton 4x4 truck but end up test driving a 1/2 ton 2wd and trying to take it off-road... :dumb:

The other option would be to go to a show. Then you could observe them operate side by side. I'd bet money you'd come home with the WM.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your decision.
Thanks for the info Kind of leaning that way now.

Up to this point, no one has thought to ask how the mill will be used... Hardwood or softwood? What size range? Hobby or business? How many bd ft per year? What other support do you have/need? What are your budget constraints? One-man operation or employees? How are your mechanical skills? This is just the start. Maybe a "1/2 ton 2wd" is exactly what you need.

I do take exception with the notion that Norwood hydraulics lack durability. I've seen the hydraulics handle some impressive logs, and they are certainly be up to handling our 30"+ diameter Ozark oak logs. A great place to see the machines side-by-side is at the Sawmill Shootout this October near Cambridge,H.
Well Thanks for asking. This mill wont be used heavily, and its not what i need but what i want. It will be mostly all hardwood. Ash,Oak,Walnut,Cherry, Prolly some cedar. We just have one employee but will do most of it myself. We have a lot of 18-24 in dead ash trees still standing. Also a lot of Black walnut and ky cherry. I really dont need a saw that big but I have bought a lot of equipment over the years and I always seem to say I wish I had bought the bigger,better machine. No matter what kind of machine it was. So I have decided on that size or maybe even the LT 35. But i do want hydraulics and would rather have a diesel?? and no, Not a 2 wd 1/2 ton but maybe a 4WD 3/4 ton, With big wide wheels!! Thanks, Great info

Norwood invented the idea of a good personal sawmill for an affordable price... Back then every manufacturer of manual mills were followers! I still think Norwood makes some of the "best" manual mills on the market!

I love my Norwood Lumbermate 2000, I've been milling on Norwood mills since 1996, I bought my LM2000 in 2003 (I think) anyway, I still think the LM2000 is going to go down in history as the best manual mill ever invented! (IF you take into account when it was put on the market, and the price it was back then)

After having said all of that, when you go to hydraulics it's a BIG jump... EVERYTHING changes, they require much more attention and the cost to own them goes up. You need to use them, as leaving them set for long period's if asking for maintance problems... As they age, they cost a lot more to keep running right and to keep them adjusted...... and those are the biggest reasons I don't own one... BUT, IF "I" was buying a new hydraulic mill tomorrow, I'd buy the LT40...

SR
Do you think the Norwood hydraulics are not as good? and maybe the better machine are the smaller machines. Im a bit concerned that if I go with Norwood that that is the biggest thing they have to offer and the location in Canada?? Leaning tward the LT35 or 40. Also Norwood doesnt offer a diesel. Thanks for the info. Im getting a lot of good info

I think Norwood has been making manual mills a LONG time and they are really good at it... And I also think that Woodmizer has been making hydraulic mills for a long time, and they are pretty good at that too!

SR

hey, anybody got any info on what to add to lube, to help control pine sap from gumming up everything,, on the blade's an guide's I'am stuck...

When I'm having that problem, (which is seldom) I add a little pine sol to the water, I have used a dish soap but I prefer pine sol.

You can use WD40 to clean yours up too...

SR

Do you think the Norwood hydraulics are not as good? and maybe the better machine are the smaller machines. Im a bit concerned that if I go with Norwood that that is the biggest thing they have to offer and the location in Canada?? Leaning tward the LT35 or 40. Also Norwood doesnt offer a diesel. Thanks for the info. Im getting a lot of good info

Check your PMs "inbox"

Up to this point, no one has thought to ask how the mill will be used... Hardwood or softwood? What size range? Hobby or business? How many bd ft per year? What other support do you have/need? What are your budget constraints? One-man operation or employees? How are your mechanical skills? This is just the start. Maybe a "1/2 ton 2wd" is exactly what you need.

I do take exception with the notion that Norwood hydraulics lack durability. I've seen the hydraulics handle some impressive logs, and they are certainly be up to handling our 30"+ diameter Ozark oak logs. A great place to see the machines side-by-side is at the Sawmill Shootout this October near Cambridge, OH.
Norwood will not be at the Paul Bunyan Exhibit in Cambridge this year, I ask them this question last week.

Latest posts

Back