Nos 261 or get a new 400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirdatron

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, probably not a usual which saw thread, but there's a bit of a back story.
I have a brand new ms261 in the loft which I got as an insurance replacement for a stolen saw. I got a used 024 to use whilst it all got sorted but it's been a super little saw and I never got round to using the 261. I'm letting my step dad have the 024 now so time to use the 261. Or is it?!
I'd always fancied having a go at modding the muffler, maybe smoothing the ports as I like tinkering and to make it a bit more powerful for bigger stuff and to run alongside the 024. Since then the ms400 has come out though which I'm really leaning towards. It's more cc than the 261 so probably not a fair comparison. Obviously the 261 would cost nothing but I've seen a good deal on the 400 and I could sell the 261 and put the money towards it. And I can always borrow my 024 back for small stuff if needed. Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20230127_075046912.jpg
    IMG_20230127_075046912.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
If it were me I'd probably have the 261 worked over really good (machined and ported) as I fell it would run right next to a ms400 than and be lighter.
Even ported heavily, a 261 isn't in the same league as a 400 stock. No prayer if the 400 has any mods to it.

Even ported heavily, a 261 isn't in the same league as a 400 stock. No prayer if the 400 has any mods to it.
I agree, What are we talking like 25% added to a ported 261? Doesn’t come close to a stock 400. Those 17cc’s is a huge difference.

no not my saw but I run a very similar setup. my guess is the bigger cc saw is always going to handle a bigger bar better. I've never tired to put a big bar on mine but I believe there is a video out there of someone running a 32in full comp on one.

Hi everyone, probably not a usual which saw thread, but there's a bit of a back story.
I have a brand new ms261 in the loft which I got as an insurance replacement for a stolen saw. I got a used 024 to use whilst it all got sorted but it's been a super little saw and I never got round to using the 261. I'm letting my step dad have the 024 now so time to use the 261. Or is it?!
I'd always fancied having a go at modding the muffler, maybe smoothing the ports as I like tinkering and to make it a bit more powerful for bigger stuff and to run alongside the 024. Since then the ms400 has come out though which I'm really leaning towards. It's more cc than the 261 so probably not a fair comparison. Obviously the 261 would cost nothing but I've seen a good deal on the 400 and I could sell the 261 and put the money towards it. And I can always borrow my 024 back for small stuff if needed. Any opinions greatly appreciated!

If you were accomplishing what you needed to with the 024 then you certainly will with a 261, and even more so if you modify it.

Until you wanna run a long bar.
The thing is the whole reason for a bigger saw is a bigger bar right? Bigger saw for bigger logs. Im not a fan of long bars on smaller saws. And for this test to be a fair comparison they should both be tested in big hardwood logs too.

Back