Nos 261 or get a new 400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the computerized Mtronic crap on the 400? Trouble-prone?

All my saws are old-school and I think I'd flip the F out if I had to start replacing a bunch of $$$$$ black boxes just to get a saw to run right.
I just got mine but all my 241C's never had a major component go bad but only a low priced Solenoid once. When they work they are surely nice but the first time they fail you may get frustrated. The first thing to go usually is the Solenoid which is small. Just buy one and keep the oldies around for back up the AV alone is worth it.

Thanks Lone Wolf. Yeah, that AV looks nice. I like the spring suspension AV on my 361.

Can you safely muffler-mod Mtronic saws? (Dunno why I'm asking, I need another saw like I need a hole in my head.)

All my saws are old-school and I think I'd flip the F out if I had to start replacing a bunch of $$$$$ black boxes just to get a saw to run right.
Stihl system I personally like better than the Husky, easy to re program. Simple video on you tube how to do it.
I'm 100% confident of them myself. A good dealer helps the transition

I’m in a similar boat, my 261cm with 18 is what I grab about 80% of the time, my 500 with 28 mostly sits like a Sunday afternoon hotrod.
We all know a 400 with 20 would slot in between them like the filling in a taco but I suspect if I did that I may be selling the 500 shortly after, since the 400 can handle a 25 easily.

I’m in a similar boat, my 261cm with 18 is what I grab about 80% of the time, my 500 with 28 mostly sits like a Sunday afternoon hotrod.
We all know a 400 with 20 would slot in between them like the filling in a taco but I suspect if I did that I may be selling the 500 shortly after, since the 400 can handle a 25 easily.
I run
150T 12 in bar
241C 18 in bar
400C 20 in bar
500I 24 in bar
Dolmar 7900m 28 in bar

Yeah I have a 20inch on my ported 261, 25 on the 400 is perfect match, and a 28inch on my ported 462, and a 32 will go on my 064/066 hybrid

What saws you running BTW?
Well, just three mainly (I know, I'm a lightweight)...a Dolmar 3410TH tree saw, 361 and a 660...my 361 prolly does 90%+ of it.

They're all muff-modded. 3-saw plan works so far (at least until I get all three pinched!) The Dolmar gets balky/bitchy sometimes, usually in the tree, no matter how many times I rebotch the carb. I suspect it has to do with the reed box getting air leak, gotta tighten those screws a LOT.

Well, just three mainly (I know, I'm a lightweight)...a Dolmar 3410TH tree saw, 361 and a 660...my 361 prolly does 90%+ of it.

They're all muff-modded. 3-saw plan works so far (at least until I get all three pinched!) The Dolmar gets balky/bitchy sometimes, usually in the tree, no matter how many times I rebotch the carb. I suspect it has to do with the reed box getting air leak, gotta tighten those screws a LOT.
sounds like 241C is needed.

I agree hard to justify 2 but more than 2 is easy. I have a 261, 400, 462, 028, 034, 036 pro, 038 mag, 361, 461, 044 10 mil, 044 12 mil, 440, 064, 262, 272, 242g, 242xp, 246, 346 x 4, 353
Which one you use the most ?

Depends on what I'm doing. But the 400c quickly has become my favorite production saw I've ever run, stock saw, equally as fun as the 346xp. The 400 just fits me and every job I can think of perfect with a 25 inch light bar. They all have there place, and use, i love all my saws. I mean even my little 353, i can throw that on the truck or SxS and beat the ever living snot out of it, it just starts and cuts like it did the first day on the job.

It's 90% old school carb under the hood, with proven tech that doesn't really fail. All of 3 sensors, a fuel solenoid, and an integrated fuel/ignition module. 99% of the issues with the saws are still basic carb, fuel line, fuel, ect.

Latest posts

Back