Not chainsaw but carb related

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matlocc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Stihl fs74, new carb, fuel lines, filter, plug. Starts and runs but wants to stall when I hit the throttle. If I feather it, I can get past the stall and it runs. I have the high jet set just below highest rpm's, any thoughts?

Low jet and idle screws is where I’d start.
Look at the carb gaskets and muffler screen as well and plug gap.

Stihl fs74, new carb, fuel lines, filter, plug. Starts and runs but wants to stall when I hit the throttle. If I feather it, I can get past the stall and it runs. I have the high jet set just below highest rpm's, any thoughts?
OEM or China knock off carb? Did you try to turn the jets a tad richer yet,start with the L then the H ?

Watch out! These either came with a governor in the carb and an unlimited coil or later with a regular carb and a limited coil. The design objective was to avoid spontaneous disassembly due to over revving.

You need to figure out which version you have. The limited coil kicks in about 10,500 rpm. If a tach goes crazy at WOT you are hitting the limiter. The best way to tune these is with a string head with the line set at the proper length.

Watch out! These either came with a governor in the carb and an unlimited coil or later with a regular carb and a limited coil. The design objective was to avoid spontaneous disassembly due to over revving.

You need to figure out which version you have. The limited coil kicks in about 10,500 rpm. If a tach goes crazy at WOT you are hitting the limiter. The best way to tune these is with a string head with the line set at the proper length.
I have one too. I also have a tach but no knowledge how to use it, no instructions, bought a few years ago and never used it. It has ONE wire. Can you please tell me WHere to connect it? THANKS.

I have one too. I also have a tach but no knowledge how to use it, no instructions, bought a few years ago and never used it. It has ONE wire. Can you please tell me WHere to connect it? THANKS.
the wire can just be wrapped a couple turns around the coil wire by the boot. Or if it has a clip on it just clip to boot.

Back