Not using a base gasket on barrel.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm replacing the piston on my461 Stihl with a pop up piston, would it be feasible to leave off the barrel gasket to further raise compression? I'm going to add an after market muffler mod also. This saw gets used a lot.

I'm replacing the piston on my461 Stihl with a pop up piston, would it be feasible to leave off the barrel gasket to further raise compression? I'm going to add an after market muffler mod also. This saw gets used a lot.
As old guy stated, check the fit, if the squish is less than .020, you will have serious problems.

Two things, first I seem to recall reading something about how the screw heads on the stuffer might need to be ground down a little if you do a base gasket delete. Second, for the muffler mod I would just get one of the dual port muffler covers from @huskyslinger. I am running one of those covers on my 461 and I really like it.
"The flange screws (for the piston tower/stuffer) hit on some of them. Can remove the 2 screws and grind .005" off them or so. A straight edge will tell you if they're in the way."

Back