Oak trees on the property...some healthy...some not-so-much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keneastman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thank you for any help you might be able to provide. We live on a ranch just south of Hemet, California. While Socal has been experiencing a drought in the past 10+ years, our 300' well has been providing the property with plenty of water. We have about 40 oak trees (most of them very large) on the property and some look quite healthy. There are probably about 10 that don't look so good. We've lost another half dozen for some reason or another (disease??). We've noticed dark "splotches" on the unhealthy trees (pictures "Unhealthy Oak 1d.jpg", 1e, and 1f). You'll see in one of the pictures ("Unhealthy Oak 1d.jpg") that we cut off a branch that was 14" in diameter. We cut it off because we didn't want it to fall on an outbuilding that was under it. You can see that it was rotting from the inside. A few years ago, we cut a bunch of lower branches off a similarly unhealthy oak tree and it turned out that the part of the tree that was left took a major turn for the positive. It is now (apparently) very healthy and green. Could this be a water issue? A disease issue that we can combat? Would whittling off significant branches spur the remainder of the tree to heal? Any thoughts are welcome.

Attachments

• Healthy Oak 1.JPG
    Healthy Oak 1.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Healthy Oak 2.JPG
    Healthy Oak 2.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • Healthy Oak 3.JPG
    Healthy Oak 3.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • Unhealthy Oak 1a.JPG
    Unhealthy Oak 1a.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • Unhealthy Oak 1b.JPG
    Unhealthy Oak 1b.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 13
  • Unhealthy Oak 1c.JPG
    Unhealthy Oak 1c.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
  • Unhealthy Oak 1d.JPG
    Unhealthy Oak 1d.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Unhealthy Oak 1e.JPG
    Unhealthy Oak 1e.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Unhealthy Oak 1f.JPG
    Unhealthy Oak 1f.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
  • Unhealthy Oak 2a.JPG
    Unhealthy Oak 2a.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
Hi Buzz. The primary tree that I too k pics of is completely bare under the canopy and for 30 yards in all directions. The tree is in front of a barn and we've kept the area clear so we can get equipment in and out without issue. Virtually all of the other oaks have oak-material under them...fallen leaves and small branches. Some of the trees have a foot of that kind of material under them. The field ares around the trees are mowed 2-3 times per year to reduce fire danger.

I agree @buzz sawyer - the declining trees look like there has been a lot of soil compaction under them. The healthy trees look to be more out in the open. There is usually a correlation between soil compaction and declining tree health.

Try zooming in on pictures "Unhealthy Oak 1d.jpg", 1e, and 1f. You'll see dark splotches. Do you think that might be a specific (and hopefully dependable) disease? The tree I sent the most pics of is, in fact, probably in the most compressed soil of all the unhealthy trees. Several of the others are in soil similar to the healthy trees. Here's another I took pics of that's unhealthy. You can also zoom and see a clear pic of the splotches (2c). Note that there's no excessive soil compaction.

Thank to you both!!! I'm hoping to save these beautiful oak trees.

Ken

Attachments

• Unhealthy Oak 2a.JPG
    Unhealthy Oak 2a.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • Unhealthy Oak 2b.JPG
    Unhealthy Oak 2b.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Unhealthy Oak 2c.JPG
    Unhealthy Oak 2c.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
Do you have sudden oak death in your area? We don't here, so I'm not terribly familiar with it, but it can cause bleeding cankers like other Phytophthora...
I'm not sure. How sudden is "sudden"? These are unhealthy for years and then their decline become more rapid and they're essentially dead in maybe 2 or 3 years.

In case it helps...I'm posting another few pics. We took down another dying oak this weekend and the first 3 pics are of the tree. Unhealthy at the top but you can see that, at the base, the wood looks reasonably healthy. The last pic is of one that's not doing well, right between 2 others that are healthy. Any other thoughts on this? Truly thankfor for your help.

Attachments

• Unhealthy Oak 4a.jpg
    Unhealthy Oak 4a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • Unhealthy Oak 4b.jpg
    Unhealthy Oak 4b.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Unhealthy Oak 4c.jpg
    Unhealthy Oak 4c.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Unhealthy Oak 5a.jpg
    Unhealthy Oak 5a.jpg
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 7
Not for that disease. Maybe try Reliant bark sprays? But I haven't dealt with it because we don't have it here. I'd have a lab confirm if you expect that is what you have.

RAL can rest for residual DNA so you could cut out one of those black spots and they'll tell you if it is Phytophthora ramorum
https://www.vetdna.com › ho...PDF
Horticulture - Submittal Form [PDF]

I'm not saying that it is...I was just floating the possibility. Soil compaction and moisture stress are most certainly viable culprits.

Not for that disease. Maybe try Reliant bark sprays? But I haven't dealt with it because we don't have it here. I'd have a lab confirm if you expect that is what you have.

RAL can rest for residual DNA so you could cut out one of those black spots and they'll tell you if it is Phytophthora ramorum
https://www.vetdna.com › ho...PDF
Horticulture - Submittal Form [PDF]

I'm not saying that it is...I was just floating the possibility. Soil compaction and moisture stress are most certainly viable culprits.
Great info. Really appreciate your help. I plan to do exactly what you recommended. Have a great week.

Ken

Back