Octane question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly. Looks like it has to meet an additional ASTM spec it also has to be 93 octane e free. I haven't seen 93 e free octane in a long time.
There's a guy with a Sunoco /vp station about a half hour away has 97 e-free at a pump labeled "recreational fuel" only place I know that has e free at a pump that's over 89 octane.

Not exactly. Looks like it has to meet an additional ASTM spec it also has to be 93 octane e free. I haven't seen 93 e free octane in a long time.

It's for sale in Vermont today, at Stewart's. I just bought 5-gal for my tractor, 93 E-free.

"Premium Non-Ethanol Gasoline​

Over 295 Stewart’s Shops locations are now offering Premium Non-Ethanol Gasoline. Premium Non-Ethanol Gasoline can improve mileage, provide better performance and safer operation for classic cars and recreational vehicles, such as snowmobiles, boats, and motorcycles, as well as lawn and snow equipment. It’s also more stable for long term storage, and less destructive to engines and fuel systems. Click here to find the closest shop to you that offers Premium Non-Ethanol; just enter your location and apply the non-ethanol filter!"

https://www.stewartsshops.com/gas-station-services/

It's for sale in Vermont today, at Stewart's. I just bought 5-gal for my tractor, 93 E-free.

"Premium Non-Ethanol Gasoline

Over 295 Stewart’s Shops locations are now offering Premium Non-Ethanol Gasoline. Premium Non-Ethanol Gasoline can improve mileage, provide better performance and safer operation for classic cars and recreational vehicles, such as snowmobiles, boats, and motorcycles, as well as lawn and snow equipment. It’s also more stable for long term storage, and less destructive to engines and fuel systems. Click here to find the closest shop to you that offers Premium Non-Ethanol; just enter your location and apply the non-ethanol filter!"

"Premium Non-Ethanol Gasoline​

93 octane was what premium was at every station 20 years ago in MI. It dropped down to 91 subsequently and you just don't see 93 any more.

A start woukd be conceding that's once again I am right and you are wrong..
First learn to type or autocorrect and stop being a know it all. I spent well over $5k in saws for my use not a business. I'm not putting junk gas and 2 cycle mix in it

Like like bwalker just like to stir the pot. My uncle was a stihl mechanic for over 15 years. Higher octane burns faster and hotter
You and your uncle are wrong, period. The facts should be out there if you look in the right places and do your own homework. The only way it will be corrected is to call out bad information when it is given out to others by the uninformed. Happens quite often in today's world. Enjoy your research if your interested in the facts not fiction.

Mogas is designed to work in low temp low oxygen environments. It may or may not produce more power in ground equipment or toys.

Octane is a measure of a fuels resistance to detonation. Detonation is not ignition or burn speed. Pump fuels have very similar flame speeds and BTU contents.
Thanks,always willing to learn something, I guess my understanding of it came from the fact that running below proper octane could overheat the engine, while true, its not due to the BTU content, rather the knocking...

Thanks,always willing to learn something, I guess my understanding of it came from the fact that running below proper octane could overheat the engine, while true, its not due to the BTU content, rather the knocking...
Running below proper octane can destroy an engine and its from heat. Once you start detonating the pressure waves strip the boundary layer of gas away from the piston and it begins absorbing more heat. If this happens for long enough or at high intensity the pistons begins to melt and it's game over.
It's easy to see why guys jump to the conclusion that higher octane fuels burn cooler. However, they just don't. Rather they are more stable and avoid abnormal combustion IE detonation.

To put this all in a nutshell, here's the easy way to look at it. Preignition happens before the sparkplug fires and detonation happens after the plug has fired. While they are both bad on an engine, preignition is the worst and most damaging. Bottom line, do all you can to make sure neither is happening in any of your internal combustion engines!

Back in the 70's when I went to auto tech school, they ran a demonstration to show octane difference. 2 small troughs with a little gas of low and high octane. When lit with a match (after letting the fuel vaporize slightly) the low octane would flash burn the whole trough immediately. The high octane would burn up the trough slower. You could actually see it. Done by one of the fuel companies (Quaker State at that time I believe). Use higher octane for a slower, more controlled, burn for less detonation but more power as it lasts a longer burn time.

Back in the 70's when I went to auto tech school, they ran a demonstration to show octane difference. 2 small troughs with a little gas of low and high octane. When lit with a match (after letting the fuel vaporize slightly) the low octane would flash burn the whole trough immediately. The high octane would burn up the trough slower. You could actually see it. Done by one of the fuel companies (Quaker State at that time I believe). Use higher octane for a slower, more controlled, burn for less detonation but more power as it lasts a longer burn time.
The only thing that tells me is the person doing the test didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
A slower burning fuel would make it more prone to detonation. This is because detonation takes time and exposure to heat to happen. Anything you can do to speed up combustion decreases a motors octane requirement. Some examples of this are properly functioning squish band heads, faster burning racing fuels, properly pointed transfer ports, etc.
And high octane absolutely will bot make more power unless detonation is present.

Back