Octane question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run all professional series stihl saws with stihl ultra oil and I use the highest grade pump gas i can find ethanol or not. Higher octane burns hotter and faster. Leaving your saw cooler. Ask any mechanic. My uncle was a dealer and mechanic in Mississippi. If I'm going to pay $1600 for a saw I'm not going to go cheap on oil or gas
I'm calling BS on Klotz claims.

I run all professional series stihl saws with stihl ultra oil and I use the highest grade pump gas i can find ethanol or not. Higher octane burns hotter and faster. Leaving your saw cooler. Ask any mechanic. My uncle was a dealer and mechanic in Mississippi. If I'm going to pay $1600 for a saw I'm not going to go cheap on oil or gas
Higher octane doesn't burn faster or hotter... Ultra is garbage oil too.

Ah I see maybe I worded it wrong in a earlier post I didn't mean the company required it but the mechanical requirements of the engine.

I will say that there is no reason to bicker about something we can easily prove or disprove. I have a saw I planned on putting a new top end on anyways which would be a good candidate as it has good compression and I'm not worried about smoking it.

Seems easy enough to do get some 87 octane and keep lowering it till it runs into problem or trashes the top end completely. I'll have to get it all on video and post it up on here, regardless of the out come should be good information for everyone on here and will put this to rest.
The compression ratios saws run is so low 87 doesn't cause them to detonate or any other issue. Many guys have used 87 for years.
I don't use 87, because 91 octane is E free and a little extra octane is cheap insurance.

Mixed 100LL is far less expensive than the canned fuels.

100LL was recommended as fuel in the old Chevrolet Hi-Perf Manual (Chevy Power). It had all the high performance parts/part numbers listed by engine type (big block, small block, cosworth DOC 4....)

I still run it in my 68 Camaro. It has an 11:1 69 LT1 motor that has been decked and heads surfaced, compression is somewhere about 11.5-12:1. I can get by with cutting it 50:50 with pump premium.

Years ago I could pull right up to the pumps at the airport and do a burnout on the tarmack. The kid pumping gas was happy to see me. 9/11 put an end to that.

Every small airport around me will sell 100LL. There was one that used to have the green 130 octane fuel.
Put here in Montana I can still drive my truck out onto the tarmac and buy avgas. If I had a car like yours I would use it. I won't use it in anything hand held and I can assure you I am no tree hugger.

We run component composition on a GC, as well as RVP, distillation curve, Research Octane Number on a test engine and a half dozen other items.
I'm a scientist. Who has tinkered with all sorts of engines since a child.

Curious, what sort of fractionating column/distillation apparatus? For the GC you have a standard temperature curve that has been run with knowns to identify components by RTs? With GC/MS even if RTs vary a bit you can still check the spectra for ID

Also curious about the nature of thetest engine. PM me if you want so not to hijack thread

Best, MP

I only visit the lab on the odd occasion so I am not very familiar with the types of machines tthey have for the most part.

The test engine is made by CFR. Same basic apparatus has been in use since the 30's.

Ah I see maybe I worded it wrong in a earlier post I didn't mean the company required it but the mechanical requirements of the engine.

I will say that there is no reason to bicker about something we can easily prove or disprove. I have a saw I planned on putting a new top end on anyways which would be a good candidate as it has good compression and I'm not worried about smoking it.

Seems easy enough to do get some 87 octane and keep lowering it till it runs into problem or trashes the top end completely. I'll have to get it all on video and post it up on here, regardless of the out come should be good information for everyone on here and will put this to rest.
Try some Coleman camp fuel, it's like 50 Octane

I won't run any E10 unless it gets used up that week, 2- or 4-strokes. It makes snot like deposits in carbs that will corrode aluminum ones. I had equipment that the carbs were never touched for 40 years, 1 year of corn gas and they needed cleaning/rebuilds

I'll drive 20 miles to get 93 E-free or go to the airport. 100LL stores indefinitely in a sealed can mixed or not.
Leaded fuel also has all sorts of serious health issues liked to it.

Also, since E10 wasn’t mandated until 1990, 40 year old equipment, would almost certainly have not been built to withstand ethanol.

I grew in the 1960s with leaded gas. I think the children of today have much lower cognitive ability.
Not for nothin…. Pretty sure test scores would prove otherwise.

As a matter of fact, studies have shown that leaded fuel was directly responsible for a world wide reduction in IQ.

Not that I believe someone who grew up in the 60’s and is advocating for using leaded gasoline while also claiming youth are less intelligent today, is going to be receptive to anything indicating “the good ol days” may not have been so perfect. But it might be valuable for someone else…

Leaded fuel also has all sorts of serious health issues liked to it.

Also, since E10 wasn’t mandated until 1990, 40 year old equipment, would almost certainly have not been built to withstand ethanol.

My 1940 Ford 9N tractor takes E10 better than anything new. 3 cleanable stainless fuel screens/filters, glass sediment bowl, steel fuel line. cast iron carb that E10 don't rot, brass float and brass needle/seat. It still will make E10 snot inside the carb bowl but I can flush it out the drain.

I'll add E10 is a waste of good farmland that should be growing food. It is not "green" as it uses almost as much fuel to make.
Not for nothin…. Pretty sure test scores would prove otherwise.

As a matter of fact, studies have shown that leaded fuel was directly responsible for a world wide reduction in IQ.

Not that I believe someone who grew up in the 60’s and is advocating for using leaded gasoline while also claiming youth are less intelligent today, is going to be receptive to anything indicating “the good ol days” may not have been so perfect. But it might be valuable for someone else…

Youth today can't figure out how to make change without a cash register. Ask one to figure out a 5% sales tax? They will look at you like a sheep. Most can't handle long division. Their shoe size is larger than their IQ.

College? I taught it. Newer students who supposedly know math asked to make a logarithmic plot of their data. More sheep looks. A "log" is something you throw on a fire or that button on the calculator.......... I had a full year of calculus in high school and never had a calculator until I took calculus.

Downfall of math skills was the advent of the cheap calculator. How many of today's students even know multiplication tables up to 12 today? That used to be a 4th or 5th grade skill.

Grammar and spelling has suffered since PCs became available. "texting" has bastardized the language

Well you better re-think that statement IQs have been dropping from the 70s on as a whole
I think you have been indoctrinated by the liberals
+1

The Echo manual says to use at least 89 octane gas, with a maximum of 10% ethanol.
I only have 87 octane e-free fuel around here (I'm not going to pay $11.25/gallon for 110 octane e-free fuel thats sold near me).

Should I just use 93 octane @ 10% ethanol and call it a day?
Or will adding something like (Lucas Oil octane booster) to my 87 octane, e-free fuel serve me better?

I already plan on draining the fuel tank and running dry for storing my Echo CS-620p any length greater than 3 days.
I know the optimal solution would be to just use 89+ octane, e-free but I just cant find any within 45 mins+ drive.

Thanks for your time fellas!
I believe the reference may be to research octane, which is always higher than the motor octane. The octane listed at the pump is an average of the two. 87 octane at the pump is generally about 89 research octane. But it will not hurt your engine to run higher octane; just your wallet.

Like I said requires it. They can state you should use 93 octane but that doesn't mean that the engine requires it and I haven't seen a factory saw come with enough compression to need it.
I always want to run around 93 ,dont forget as gas sits octane lowers.

I won't run any E10 unless it gets used up that week, 2- or 4-strokes. It makes snot like deposits in carbs that will corrode aluminum ones. I had equipment that the carbs were never touched for 40 years, 1 year of corn gas and they needed cleaning/rebuilds

I'll drive 20 miles to get 93 E-free or go to the airport. 100LL stores indefinitely in a sealed can mixed or not.
I have been using E10 in my saws for decades with no problem, and I go 6 months or more on a container. However, I always add Stabil. Some 2-cycle oils say that is unnecessary.

Latest posts

Back