Octane question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpeta

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The Echo manual says to use at least 89 octane gas, with a maximum of 10% ethanol.
I only have 87 octane e-free fuel around here (I'm not going to pay $11.25/gallon for 110 octane e-free fuel thats sold near me).

Should I just use 93 octane @ 10% ethanol and call it a day?
Or will adding something like (Lucas Oil octane booster) to my 87 octane, e-free fuel serve me better?

I already plan on draining the fuel tank and running dry for storing my Echo CS-620p any length greater than 3 days.
I know the optimal solution would be to just use 89+ octane, e-free but I just cant find any within 45 mins+ drive.

Thanks for your time fellas!

Where is "around here"?
The reason I ask is elevation affects what octane you need.

Just use 89 or 91 octane E10. You can't hear detonation on a two stroke like you can on a four stroke and it kills motors fast. Fuel systems have been made to handle ethanol for 30 years now. Ethanol can cause phase separation but that requires water and cold temps. Avoid water by storing your fuel in sealed containers. A container with an open vent breathes with temperature changes.

Just use 89 or 91 octane E10. You can't hear detonation on a two stroke like you can on a four stroke and it kills motors fast. Fuel systems have been made to handle ethanol for 30 years now. Ethanol can cause phase separation but that requires water and cold temps. Avoid water by storing your fuel in sealed containers. A container with an open vent breathes with temperature changes.

I won't run any E10 unless it gets used up that week, 2- or 4-strokes. It makes snot like deposits in carbs that will corrode aluminum ones. I had equipment that the carbs were never touched for 40 years, 1 year of corn gas and they needed cleaning/rebuilds

I'll drive 20 miles to get 93 E-free or go to the airport. 100LL stores indefinitely in a sealed can mixed or not.

I won't run any E10 unless it gets used up that week, 2- or 4-strokes. It makes snot like deposits in carbs that will corrode aluminum ones. I had equipment that the carbs were never touched for 40 years, 1 year of corn gas and they needed cleaning/rebuilds

I'll drive 20 miles to get 93 E-free or go to the airport. 100LL stores indefinitely in a sealed can mixed or not.

That's been my experience with ethanol in small engines. Nasty nasty stuff. I drive about 20 minutes to get 90 rec fuel. I buy enough to last about 6 months. I have stored it mixed for up to a year with no issues at all.

Small engines to this day don't handle ethanol very well.

What does 100LL generally run you?
Got a small airport about 40-45 minutes away.

Find an airport near you

http://100ll.com/
It's $5.90/gal nearby here now.

It does have lead so don't spill it on yourself or huff the fumes.
Your breathing the fumes every time you run a saw. Every smell your clothing after a day of cutting? It will always stink of gasoline.

Back