Octane question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many many things are bad fir us gentleman! Many things! You ever read the label of something bought or made in California these days. Everything in that state can cause cancer according to them! Come on!

Well I gave my advice and opinions. Time to move on. Its been a good discussion gentlemen!👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Many many things are bad fir us gentleman! Many things! You ever read the label of something bought or made in California these days. Everything in that state can cause cancer according to them! Come on!

Well I gave my advice and opinions. Time to move on. Its been a good discussion gentlemen!👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
True but I try not to add to it.

Don't use 100ll. It does have more lead in it than pump gas. Find yourself an airport that sells MOGAS. 91 octane and no lead and none of the additives of pump (even e-free) gas. My lawn takes 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 tanks to mow on pump gas with ethanol. Using MOGAS I can do it using less than 1.
Interesting, I've never heard of it or seen it at any of the local airports. I'm all for getting a alkyd fuel, but will not run leaded fuel of any type.

Never said anything about better performance. I just said Its better for the cylinder life. Also, maybe the octane content itself doesn't have anything to do with shelf life but the fuel as a whole is far more stable than pump gas when it comes yo long gevity. Fumes? I'd be more concerned about the mix oil fumes than the fuel it's self.p Ive had more problems with over mixed rich fuel than anything when it comes to burning of the eyes and respiratory problems. Price. Like you said Sean. 6.00 a gallon. Well, as far as being expensive? That all depends on how much fuel your going to consume over time. My biggest point is. If one is looking to run high octane gas? Based on experience. "I myself" feel AV gas is the better option vs pump gas and octane boosters.
Yes alkyd fuel is a cleaner burning fuel from my understanding, also much more shelf stable then pump gas. It also has a very different exhaust smell, which I don't find unpleasant at all, I just won't run a leaded fuel. No one will argue the merrit of an alkyd based fuel, but I also won't run avgas just because of its high lead content amd canned fuel is $20.00 something a gallon. Too rich for me.

Yes alkyd fuel is a cleaner burning fuel from my understanding, also much more shelf stable then pump gas. It also has a very different exhaust smell, which I don't find unpleasant at all, I just won't run a leaded fuel. No one will argue the merrit of an alkyd based fuel, but I also won't run avgas just because of its high lead content amd canned fuel is $20.00 something a gallon. Too rich for me.
16743920254636644555204576623127.gif

Just about none of that is technically accurate...
And running AvGas in a saw is stupid and terrible for your health.. Not to mention the fact that it will in many cases make your saw run worse.
Then I'm dumb all over, and a little ugly on the side.

My saws will sit overwinter, and start right up spring with no carb problems, 026, 028, 036, 038M.....

Av gas vs pump gas is a bad comparison. The octane doesn't have anything to to with performance or shelf life. Avgas is a different formulation of fuel. It's an alkyd based fuel, which does have benefits over pump gas save the lead content and cost. The cost I could stomach, the lead content I won't. I haven enough going for me for getting cancer don't need to breath in the lead fumes from running avgas. Besides that it's over $6.00 gal.
How much i$ canned fuel$?

Interesting, I've never heard of it or seen it at any of the local airports. I'm all for getting a alkyd fuel, but will not run leaded fuel of any type.
It's also known as UL91. Not widely available and I have never seen it.
The problem is aviation piston engines are very old technology wise and it's a royal pain to get anything new certified. It's even more of a pain to get old engines certified to run on unleaded fuels. As a result very few aviation motors are certified to run on unleaded fuels even though most don't need the lead or the octane level.

Back