October 9 was a great day for firewood gathering in New England

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yiotta

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
My only saw that is running is the Husq 460, but she didn't disappoint yesterday.

20221009_122711.jpg

Not the best location to be bucking a log...laying in a dry creek bed, rocks all over the place but...'look ma, no sparks'.... damn lucky yesterday...no way to elevate that beast with the lever's I had available.

Question: It appears to me that when I buck the log with the bar facing the end of the tree, it won't cut straight...my rounds were parallelograms. So, I started cutting from the other side of the log with the bar facing the root and my saw seemed to cut straight. Is this one of the secrets the pro's know?

Also, the 460 has a reasonably new chain. I sharpen it 4 or 5 strokes every tank of gas, using the Husq sharpening guide and Husq files. Flip the bar every other tank of gas. This is a large (large, 18-20" healthy oak...heavy m-f'n rounds) and my chain isn't throwing long chunks of wood, more like saw dust. See below. On a scale of 1-5, 5 being 'outstanding' how healthy is my chain on this day?

20221009_112300.jpg

THE END...for today ;^D

20221009_113748.jpg

that's some good looking wood.

You going to burn it this year?

Been cutting up myself, unfortunately not ahead of the curve on wood gathering but I through about 4-5 chord in my 1772 build house down here in NC.

Latest posts

Back