OEM pistons are the best? - Not so much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarongd

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
so fellas, here i am to show all those who swear up and down OEM Pistons/Cylinder are the only way to go. as such i am posting pics of a Stihl 044 OEM mahle piston i removed out of a customer saw. This not the first time i have found similar issues with OEM pistons from Stihl and husky saws both. I also might also add that i personally have never seen a Meteor Piston fail for poor workmanship. That being said, IMO, Meteor is at least as good if not better than OEM. And they have Caber Rings whereas the OEM pistons do not to my knowledge.

Pics as stated

Attachments

• 0198704F-3418-4880-A75D-6AF25BC70734.jpeg
    0198704F-3418-4880-A75D-6AF25BC70734.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • D1DFF1A4-2701-447D-BA7E-1C7BFA36D689.jpeg
    D1DFF1A4-2701-447D-BA7E-1C7BFA36D689.jpeg
    991.7 KB · Views: 4
  • A9CDB7FC-AD66-40C7-9D6D-B7BB055F7E6D.jpeg
    A9CDB7FC-AD66-40C7-9D6D-B7BB055F7E6D.jpeg
    977.2 KB · Views: 4
Unless you're seeing one Meteor piston for every Stihl & Husky piston, I'm not sure it's a valid hypothesis? I dunno.
Exactly. I'm sure OEM pistons are FAR more common in saws than Meteor, so it would make sense to see a bunch of "failed" OEM pistons and no Meteors.

Also, while I'm no expert, I wonder how many of these "failures" are due to operator error? Not mixing at the right ratio, using poor quality 2-stroke oil, running straight gas, etc.

I don't know, but if they are user error, it wouldn't mean the OEM pistons are crap.

Just my 2 cents.

Exactly. I'm sure OEM pistons are FAR more common in saws than Meteor, so it would make sense to see a bunch of "failed" OEM pistons and no Meteors.

Also, while I'm no expert, I wonder how many of these "failures" are due to operator error? Not mixing at the right ratio, using poor quality 2-stroke oil, running straight gas, etc.

I don't know, but if they are user error, it wouldn't mean the OEM pistons are crap.

Just my 2 cents.
OEM Pistons and Cylinders are what I always rebuild with and they always work well. OEM is going to come out on top here I have no doubt.

Unless you're seeing one Meteor piston for every Stihl & Husky piston, I'm not sure it's a valid hypothesis? I dunno.
Exactly what I thought when I read his statement.
Funny I just saw a sign yesterday that said something like 254 people died not wearing seatbelts in 2022 here in michigan, I immediately thought, how many didn't die not wearing one 😏.
I hate seatbelts, but I like oem and meteor pistons lol.

What are we supposed to be seeing in these photos?

Looks like a worn/wearing piston to me 🤷‍♂️

The ring pins came out, looks like on both sides. I suppose a sloppy piston could rattle them out.
But, they should not come out on Stihl or anybody else's piston. They do sometimes.
Kind of wonder where they went. Usually they make a pretty good gouge in the piston somewhere.

The ring pins came out, looks like on both sides. I suppose a sloppy piston could rattle them out.
But, they should not come out on Stihl or anybody else's piston. They do sometimes.
Kind of wonder where they went. Usually they make a pretty good gouge in the piston somewhere.
Dang stihls 😆

Thank you!

I've been trying to get an appt. for an eye exam and new lenses the last few weeks. My glasses are scratched and have marking paint on them!

So a piston ring locating pin came out of a 20 to 30 year old saw with a worn piston. Over rev and/or piston wear. Now lets compare a 20 to 30 year old aftermarket piston under the same conditions. I do not know which is better until I see examples of them. Age and over revving are the culprits.Pressure or vacuum leak? (there he goes again!). Carburetor condition? Need more proof.

Mechanical issues cause locating pins to come out and that is no way indicative of quality.

If you think Meteor is high quality than Mahle your on drugs.
It's funny guys fawn over Meteor and Caber being made in Italy. Italy has a reputation for making junk. The Germans have the exact opposite.
Besides Meteor Caber are both China made now, correct?

That 20+ year old piston in the picture is worn thin at the skirt edge and at some point got pretty darn hot causing those aluminum score marks all the way around on it. Likely the guy is the "new" owner of a worn out saw who was adjusting it lean for extra power and thats how it landed in your hands. And of course a new meteor piston will make more power than a soft seized worn out piston lol.

That 20+ year old piston in the picture is worn thin at the skirt edge and at some point got pretty darn hot causing those aluminum score marks all the way around on it. Likely the guy is the "new" owner of a worn out saw who was adjusting it lean for extra power and thats how it landed in your hands. And of course a new meteor piston will make more power than a soft seized worn out piston lol.
The piston rattling around the bore hammers the ring ends into the pins and this eventually works them loose. Very common on high hour motors.

Sounds right to me. Where is the OP?
Skewed ports cause more ring damage then anything. Side-loading a ring back into a pin stop eventually works it loose. The RPM really has nothing to do with it.

Angle the port roof.
What direction does the ring get pushed to?
Mystery solved.

Skewed ports cause more ring damage then anything. Side-loading a ring back into a pin stop eventually works it loose. The RPM really has nothing to do with it.

Angle the port roof.

What direction does the ring get pushed to?

Mystery solved.
Yes they do. Poor port shape and poor ring chamfers of factory cylinders are the reason that ported cylinders by a competent porter will often last longer despite making more power.

Latest posts

Back