OEM pistons are the best? - Not so much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure I have and I hate it, that's why I strive to have my facts in order. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.

Literally the VERY NEXT post... you can't make this stuff up folks!

Regardless Italian made stuff doesn't have an exactly sterling rep for quality in industry.

The Italian shoe industry has been regarded as the best in the world for a couple centuries. You should strive harder to get your facts in order.

I find people who feel the need to tout how perfect they are online are usually pretty flawed. Get over yourself pal.

Italian shoes, Italian shotguns, other old world craftsmenship in that country have a well deserved reputation. Meteor? Not heard much bad about them, top quality from what I have seen. German products? If you think everything that comes out of that country is top quality you are fooling yourself. Most of their cars are garbage made with questionable engineering and inferior quality parts, ask anyone who works on them.

Stihl saws also have their share of questionable engineering, many people prefer working on Husqvarna for that reason. As far as parts go, the Germans farm their stuff out like everyone else, so quality can be a crap shoot. Imagine my shock when the bad bearings in a Bosch alternator with only 60,000 miles turned out to be made by Lucas! ("Q" Why do the British drink warm beer? "A" Because they all own Lucas refrigerators.)
Just because it says made in Germany on a piece of equipment doesn't guarantee quality.

That being said you do find some nice products out of the country, I much prefer the steel in my Stihl chains and the solingen steel in a pair of scissors I have, and the aluminum in their car radiators were top notch, at least in the late 90's when I worked on them.

No country makes everything perfect, but If I were to pick one with the best products on the whole over the past several decades, it would have to be Japan. Now if they would only make aftermarket parts for chainsaws.......

I have learned to distrust anything that has to do with electonics that's Italian. Alfa Romeo cars are, in that regard, one of the many examples. That being said, every Alfa owner I ever met was pleased with the car's performance. And then there's a little thing called Ferrari.

I asked a Dutch webshop, that sells am stuff, about Meteor cylinders (and pistons); where they're produced and whether they're still plated in Italy. They replied they would quite like to know themselves...

Literally the VERY NEXT post... you can't make this stuff up folks!

The Italian shoe industry has been regarded as the best in the world for a couple centuries. You should strive harder to get your facts in order.

I find people who feel the need to tout how perfect they are online are usually pretty flawed. Get over yourself pal.
Let me repeat myself. Italian made good on average doe not have a good reputation.
I'm dealing with 3 Italian slides valves right now that are absolute pieces of garbage. Ducati ignition are garbage. I could go on.
Yea, they make nice boots.. and shotguns.
I never said ainwas perfect either. What I try to do is not go on a public forum and spew verbal diarrhea about subjects I have little understanding of. Pretty simple concept lost on many.

Both are luxury brands and yes they both aren't of the best quality.
Two of the most well branded names in any industry and you chose to claim they "aren't the best quality" both may be in anyone's top 10 most desirable automobiles made anywhere but you insist they are "luxury" yet low quality.
You sir live in a small deeply opinionated world. Enjoy yourself.

Two of the most well branded names in any industry and you chose to claim they "aren't the best quality" both may be in anyone's top 10 most desirable automobiles made anywhere but you insist they are "luxury" yet low quality.
You sir live in a small deeply opinionated world. Enjoy yourself.
Because people are willing Townshend monet on that doesn't mean they are high quality. Jaguars snd Land Rovers are another example of high priced garbage.

Guys, i am not saying OEM are not good pistons. I am just stating that those who wholeheartedly swear on OEM or nothing else may reconsider using a Meteor. Is it possible that Mahle and KS had a cheaper price when bidding on a contract for stihl and Husky as an OEM supplier? I know Meteor is OEM supplier for other 2 stroke engines such as moped and lawnmowers and such. And to be quite honest, If i still had a choice to use OEM vs Meteor, i would most likely choose OEM. However, as we all know, some OEM pistons are no longer available and therefore meteor would be my back up choice by far. This thread is to only show OEM fail from factory defects as well.
If you had read some more instead of arrogantly blurting out your first statement you would know a LOT of the good folks will use Meteor pistons. Have for years. Some of the OEM were at $120+
But they tell folks also.
The cylinders……..nope. OEM is better. NO question.
Read some more……..

Back