Oil mix ratio.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be very oil addative dependent for carbon build up and removal. I'd hazard to say most modern oils would be fine at higher ratios, but then again I've never seen the point in small power equipment. They are about as low power as you could ask for, any power sports engines dwarf the hp numbers our saws see.
Yes, chainsaws, even ported ones have low BMEP and are essentially cheap, disposable devices. It's really pointless to obsess about oil to the degree we do.
With that said I still like to run a oil that's at least partially mineral oil and at 32:1. For a variety of reasons.

I didn't know Yamalube made an aircooled two stroke oil. Looked it up and sure enough.

I'm pleased, learned something from an oil thread.
Yea, one of the best. Guys with air-cooled KT100 karts use it alot under absolutely torturous conditions with great results. It's good stuff and pretty economical to boot.

A long winded post..Ha. Ha.. Yes! I am long winded..Yes I am..I'm from a family of writers so we are all long winded people...I've started a few books but never had one published..My daughter is working on her PHD and is writing three books at this time..My brother is working on a book..BOTH of them say it takes me way to many words to make a statement.. I agree..during edit I tend to cut a lot out and still it's LOONNG..My Brother suggested I write in Chapters and Verses like the good old KJV Bible so people could pick up where they left off and not tire out reading. Ha Ha..My daughter said, no daddy don't do that it's confusing..Several times a week I send out a letter to a select few individuals who by choice are on my mailing list. A few in other countries as far away as London England..When it comes to my droning on and on, most people scan hurriedly and have no clue what it really means..They are the kind ones who just delete. Many humans are lazy minded, short sighted and like rabbits are busy jumping and running. They like two line post's.. Some run from a Coyote into the path of a Car..I find it strange that so many people stop educating themselves right out of high school..Not all, but most readers, tend to forget the first few lines before they finish reading the last lines,, Ha.Ha... Most don't even finish reading it at all before they comment...Ha.Ha..I try to write with a mix of humor and include some deep thoughts as well...Some people will read and cheer, some will jump to conclusions and become confused, some will say, this **** stinks and a few, a very few, will enjoy the mix of wisdom and foolishness..I believe that humans have two personalities living in them. One a father one a child..I allow my inner child to express himself but the father assures he don't get to crazy..I've helped people deal with problems by teaching them to re-parent themselves. I advise them to be a good parent to their inner child even if they had a bad childhood growing up. I remind people that in a forest there are many trees and no two completely alike. Each one of us can be correct and still believe differently on many subjects because one has a good way while the other one may have a better way. It's not worth me getting into a fight trying to decide which way is best as long as both ways work and everyone is happy... So, if, I'm happily getting the job done doing it wrong then I'm right enough for me and I give that same respect to others. However by now most readers have fallen asleep or have waken the baby yelling this is BS.. IF you've actually read this much and are not pizzed off, give yourself 10 extra points..Ha. Ha..You are a patient and wise man who will go far in life.....Be blessed,,

So to condense.
You talk too much to get your point across.
You believe few people continually educate themselves after school.
You embrace your inner child with caution.
You acknowledge everyone is different.
You have a rooted view of others opinions. Rather refreshing. I appreciate that.
I'm neither patient nor do I consider myself wise.

That might depend on the Coyote being hairy and four legged....... or if it was a metaphor for the trailing pack of riders looking to steal first place from Wonder Bill? :rare2:
Are you thinking about 50 yo and older cougars? Two legged long hair? They attack one at a time right?

What brand and model number are the 2 saws? If they are older models, the oil used back in their day was not as refined as today's full synthetic oils. Hence why they used a heavy oil to fuel mix.

Example... I just tuned up an old Earthquake brand auger for digging holes. OLD 49cc Tecumseh engine. Fixed jet carb. Sticker on the pull start states 24:1! That's 5 oz oil per gallon fuel. The plug that was in it was a bit oil fouled and the exhaust port 1/3 carbon plugged. After carb rebuild, exhaust port cleaning, new fuel line and new plug, I opted to run 38:1. Engine is much happier with a nice cardboard color spark plug, revs up fast and still blows some blue smoke. Inspection camera down the plug hole after running showed a good sheen of oil covering piston and cylinder wall.

I would go with the 40:1 with non ethanol fuel and good quality brand name full synthetic oil rated for air cooled engines . No cheap gas station 2 stroke oil unless in a pinch. Echo Red Armor, Amsoil, Husqvarna, Stihl, Lucas oil and the like are all good oils.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail (21).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (21).jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 6
Writing books then mention bible where are we going with this, I want popcorn too.:popcorn2::clap::rock::cry::chainsaw:

Oh man oil threads....

For what it's worth, I am currently using Echo Powerblend at 40:1 in everything, even my oldest saw, with non-ethanol gas. It seems to smoke enough like it's plenty of oil but not too much. Everything seems to love it.

I will never understand the quest to run less and less oil. To me the benefits of pushing it to 60, 70, 80:1 just aren't there when 32:1, 40:1 are time-tested ratios. Just because a saw might not burn up at 80:1 doesn't mean it's being lubricated as well as a saw that's running at 40:1.

What brand and model number are the 2 saws? If they are older models, the oil used back in their day was not as refined as today's full synthetic oils. Hence why they used a heavy oil to fuel mix.

Example... I just tuned up an old Earthquake brand auger for digging holes. OLD 49cc Tecumseh engine. Fixed jet carb. Sticker on the pull start states 24:1! That's 5 oz oil per gallon fuel. The plug that was in it was a bit oil fouled and the exhaust port 1/3 carbon plugged. After carb rebuild, exhaust port cleaning, new fuel line and new plug, I opted to run 38:1. Engine is much happier with a nice cardboard color spark plug, revs up fast and still blows some blue smoke. Inspection camera down the plug hole after running showed a good sheen of oil covering piston and cylinder wall.

I would go with the 40:1 with non ethanol fuel and good quality brand name full synthetic oil rated for air cooled engines . No cheap gas station 2 stroke oil unless in a pinch. Echo Red Armor, Amsoil, Husqvarna, Stihl, Lucas oil and the like are all good oils.
Those auger powerheads never run long enough to burn out all the carbon. Everyone I have ever messed with was full of carbon regardless of the oil or ratio used.

This is all confusing. You think you are being diligent by reading manufacturers literature that comes with the saw. My 395xp called for 87 octane with no more than 10% ethanol and 50:1 high quality synthetic oil. However, Husqy premix is 94 octane (I believe) without ethanol and has the 50:1 recommended fuel to oil ratio.

This is all confusing. You think you are being diligent by reading manufacturers literature that comes with the saw. My 395xp called for 87 octane with no more than 10% ethanol and 50:1 high quality synthetic oil. However, Husqy premix is 94 octane (I believe) without ethanol and has the 50:1 recommended fuel to oil ratio.
My thoughts:

You can run more octane. It won't help anything, but it won't hurt anything. Super high octane might get you somewhat less performance, but won't hurt anything.

The less ethanol, the better. You can run "no more than" 10% ethanol, you most definitely don't need to run any.

I would double check your manual, my 30 year old Stihl manual says 89 octane and I'd be surprised if Husky wasn't there too.

I wouldn't want to run premix in a 395 for any serious cutting. Thirsty baby, expensive.

Run what your manual suggests, and tune your saw accordingly. Get on with life.

My thoughts:

You can run more octane. It won't help anything, but it won't hurt anything. Super high octane might get you somewhat less performance, but won't hurt anything.

The less ethanol, the better. You can run "no more than" 10% ethanol, you most definitely don't need to run any.

I would double check your manual, my 30 year old Stihl manual says 89 octane and I'd be surprised if Husky wasn't there too.

I wouldn't want to run premix in a 395 for any serious cutting. Thirsty baby, expensive.

Run what your manual suggests, and tune your saw accordingly. Get on with life.
+1 on all of the above.
My 395xp called for 87 octane with no more than 10% ethanol and 50:1 high quality synthetic oil.
As per the OP, Husky recommends 33:1 for all their saws over 70cc.
Interestingly, both oils Husky market are semi-synthetic

+1 on all of the above.

As per the OP, Husky recommends 33:1 for all their saws over 70cc.
Interestingly, both oils Husky market are semi-synthetic
This is why we see some saws not lasting.

Back