Old 044 bar and chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris moss

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I was given a old 044 , it starts up a d runs great, but the bar is shot and chain , on the saw it has a 3/8's rim sprocket, can I use a bar and chain that is .28in .063 92dl ? If it will not work , what should I get ? The pic is the one I was hoping to get

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230201_112752_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230201_112752_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 1
So I was given a old 044 , it starts up a d runs great, but the bar is shot and chain , on the saw it has a 3/8's rim sprocket, can I use a bar and chain that is .28in .063 92dl ? If it will not work , what should I get ? The pic is the one I was hoping to get

Yes, it will work with your 044/drive sprocket.

As Rocket points out, there are higher-quality bars available.

If your 029S is running a 3/8" sprocket you can use the bar(s) you have for that saw. Maybe run the 044 for a while with the bars you got before deciding what else you want?

What is "shot" about the 044 bar?

Roy

Yes, it will work with your 044/drive sprocket.

As Rocket points out, there are higher-quality bars available.

If your 029S is running a 3/8" sprocket you can use the bar(s) you have for that saw. Maybe run the 044 for a while with the bars you got before deciding what else you want?

What is "shot" about the 044 bar?

Roy
The bar that's on it looks like it was ran over with a.bulldozer , I tried to file it , but ts just trash, and the cutters on the chain are chipped and broke. , yeah I know there are better bars , but that's my budget ATM , only bars I have for my 029 super is a 16 and 18 in , the tree I need to buck is huge, I figure a 28in bar cut from both sides with get it cut thru , took the pic with the house in it for comparison, a 20 in bar is not getting they that

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230123_235035_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230123_235035_Photos.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 0
The bar that's on it looks like it was ran over with a.bulldozer , I tried to file it , but ts just trash, and the cutters on the chain are chipped and broke. , yeah I know there are better bars , but that's my budget ATM , only bars I have for my 029 super is a 16 and 18 in , the tree I need to buck is huge, I figure a 28in bar cut from both sides with get it cut thru , took the pic with the house in it for comparison, a 20 in bar is not getting they that

You are lucky the tree didn't fall the other way. :surprised3:

Be careful of what the root ball does when you cut that up.

What is diameter of the tree? A 044 will be more happy with a 25" bar for later use.

I would suggest (regular) 24" or 28" (light bar) on it and also get a new sprocket. Get a good bar like a tsumura, stihl es, sugihara and GB or you will be replacing it again sooner rather than later (get what you pay for). If you have a decent stihl dealer around you take it in and have them put a couple different length bars on it to see how it balances the powerhead in your hands holding the top handle only. Do not get the stihl laminate bars, they are junk now. I have had the last two fail from soft rails and excessive roller tip bearing wear before the first chain was half filed down.
With it being down take the time to remove and closely inspect the clutch shoes, bearing, clutch drum, brake and clutch springs for wear.

I would suggest 24" or 28" light bar on it and also get a new sprocket. Get a good bar like a tsumura, stihl es, sugihara and GB or you will be replacing it again sooner rather than later (get what you pay for). If you have a decent stihl dealer around you take it in and have them put a couple different length bars on it to see how it balances the powerhead in your hands holding the top handle only. Do not get the stihl laminate bars, they are junk now. I have had the last two fail from soft rails and excessive roller tip bearing wear before the first chain was half filed down.
With it being down take the time to remove and closely inspect the clutch shoes, bearing, clutch drum, brake and clutch springs for wear.
Which Stihl bars are junk the ones with the stupid writing on them?

Which Stihl bars are junk the ones with the stupid writing on them?
Any of their laminate bars, the throw away non serviceable tipped with green dot. The new bars look to be 75% consumer based with fancy screen printed shlt on them to make unknowing consumers think their getting a pro light bar for under 100 bucks. I saw one such ding dong's video about running out and buying one because he had to have one on his 400c (original bar he removed looked brand new) and then needing to buy a matching chain to fit on it because they come in a narrow kerf. I imagine its also so they can put longer bars on smaller powerheads (with fancy graphics) to sell to ding dongs who shop by the bar size on saws in stores.

Latest posts

Back