Old abandoned Poulan Wild Thing. Should I fix it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I fix it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
I think P3314, probably 18 years ago.

Google shows it was 95% likely it was a P3314
Ok, gotcha. The PL3314 is the newer one with the curvy plastic panels shaped like the newer 5020 and 4218. I’ve heard nothing but bad things about them. Were the choke and run switch on the left side coupled right next to each other? I’ve also heard nasty things about them as far as the carb/controls setup being a pain to fix and work with. Maybe for your challenge, you should acquire one with the separated controls from that era.

Ok, gotcha. The PL3314 is the newer one with the curvy plastic panels shaped like the newer 5020 and 4218. I’ve heard nothing but bad things about them. Were the choke and run switch on the left side coupled right next to each other? I’ve also heard nasty things about them as far as the carb/controls setup being a pain to fix and work with. Maybe for your challenge, you should acquire one with the separated controls from that era.

Yes, controls like this it had...

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...-feeling-and-i-know-youll-let-me-down.365235/

The saws with the choke and switch on the left side are strato saws. If the choke is on the right it is an old-school piston ported engine. There were also non-strato wersion that had spring AV but these seem to be much more rare.

My 4218 and an older wildthing always had problem with the fuel caps being too tight. I solved that problem by just draining the fuel and leaving the cap really loose. I believe they swelled up in the presence of fuel even if it was ethanol free.
Also - The 4218avx was a strato.

The saws with the choke and switch on the left side are strato saws. If the choke is on the right it is an old-school piston ported engine. There were also non-strato wersion that had spring AV but these seem to be much more rare.
Yeah, I happen to have a non-strato 2250 with AV that in overhauling. I see them now and again on OfferUp and eBay, but not very often.

How much wood could a wood shark cut if a wood shark could cut

You should try a non-strato one with AV if you can find one. They’re not earth-shattering or anything, but they’re not as terrible as everyone makes them out to be.

Yes, those were probably not as bad as the one I had. Thanks.

This.

Cause I sure as F ain't letting someone borrow one of my 10-10's or my SXL, or even a Mini Mac for that matter.

Everyone needs at least one Poulan turd for the dirty work. I've got mine, haha.

View attachment 1051296
That's the only reason I'd keep one. To lone out to non mechanical people, and tell them if they brake it, don't bring it back. I used to recommend them as a cheap saw for homeowners, but they seemed more prone to bad gas syndrome. I remember my Dad bought me one for Christmas. I asked why he got it, when I had at least 20 saws then. He said, "It's new, and it's shiny, and it was on sale for $99."

I was going to really dog on the Wood Shark and Wild Thing, then I thought I might be a bit of a hypocrite. My 1968 Poulan Super 68, 82CC's, gear drive, pulling a 31" bar of 1/2" chain, will still walk the dog on some new saws. You just need a kid to follow you around and pick up all the teeth that get rattled out.
Q3OJWj8.jpg

I appreciate the attention to my offer, Ironhorsedoctor. I wouldn’t mind getting ahold of someone’s Wild Thing, even if it’s not running right. @mg1944 I’d be willing to pay shipping for yours if you really don’t want it.
I have 2 of them. 50 bucks and the shipping and they're urs

My 4218 and an older wildthing always had problem with the fuel caps being too tight. I solved that problem by just draining the fuel and leaving the cap really loose. I believe they swelled up in the presence of fuel even if it was ethanol free.
Also - The 4218avx was a strato.
Fuel was always a problem with these fuel cap. They occasionally had issues with the duck bill vent in the cap and the cap retainer falling off and dropping off in tank. Best fix was just replacing the cap. They are still readily available new. They are found under a few different part numbers. 530047192,577858501& 580940901

The early non strato saws with the separate choke and kill switch are easy to work on and worth keeping. They make half decent power with a muffler mod, and are good for light and medium duty cutting. However, the vibration on them is terrible and some people can't use them for more than 10 minutes at a time because of it.
My sample is reliable, and it's a good spare saw for the cutting trips if there's nothing too big to cut. Probably one of the perfect saws to keep in the back of a truck, you won't have too much emotionally invested if it disappears.

I have the Jonsered 2238 and a McColluch CS340 which I believe are the same family of saws. The McColluch was a dumpster dive find that threw the chain so the owner pitched it. T
he J-Red was a Tractor Supply managers special. The J-Red had a Managers special tag that said customer return. Bad Gas. They put a new bar and chain on it . I tried getting it cheaper powerhead only and he said they won't sell it that way. I bought it for $75 then sold the new bar and chain for $25 at the flea market. Turns out the red or blue on/off or choke had some rough plastic finish that just needed cleaned up with some sand paper for the fix. I've cut mountains of wood with those 2 saws and still use them. They are lite weight and sip gas. I run old gas through the McColluch all the time and it just keeps going.

The early non strato saws with the separate choke and kill switch are easy to work on and worth keeping. They make half decent power with a muffler mod, and are good for light and medium duty cutting. However, the vibration on them is terrible and some people can't use them for more than 10 minutes at a time because of it.
My sample is reliable, and it's a good spare saw for the cutting trips if there's nothing too big to cut. Probably one of the perfect saws to keep in the back of a truck, you won't have too much emotionally invested if it disappears.
Interesting. I bought a clone saw I thought. I have run a Craftsman 3616 Black and Grey I have run forever. I picked up one that looked like it until I got home, and noticed the run switch and choke were different, then the physical size was different too, as the one with the separate switches is smaller. So is that motor more like my 295/4620AVX saws? I have yet to get around to that one to really look at it, as I have 4 more Wild Things staring at my workbenches.

I wrapped a piece of pool noodle around the handle.
Did it help? Maybe.
If you live anywhere where ice-hockey is played, there is a high density ballistic foam padding 1/4" thick that is easy to find and does make a difference when wrapped on both handles.

We people who rave about Poulan saws:

1. Are saving money not making money. Poulans are not durable or fast enough to make money or harsh daily work. They are sufficient for most tree projects, clean up, getting work done.
  2. Using something other than wood as their primary heat source. See #1 above
  3. View working on it and with it as a learning experience
  4. Prefer the non-strato, anti vibe, versions (except #13 below)
  5. Bought their saw with low hours on the used market and in decent shape for <$40 or they are got it for free
  6. Watch the used market for super cheap parts saws
  7. Replaced the fuel lines, rebuild the carb., re gaped the spark plug and coil and replace the air filter.
  8. Tune their carb rich enough and keep a carb screwdriver handy when cutting
  9. Do an appropriate muffler mod
  10. Know how to keep their chain sharp and properly adjusted.
  11. Do the maintenance when they put it away.
  12. Store it with an empty gas tank and a rag under it because it will leak bar oil.
  13. Have an extra Wild Thing without AV as the loaner. If your neighbor, brother in law or friend can’t get the project done before his hands go numb, the project is big enough that he’s saving enough to buy his own darn chainsaw.
  14. Have a case of CAD bigger than their budget.

Latest posts

Back