Old abandoned Poulan Wild Thing. Should I fix it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I fix it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
I keep as many around as possible for parts saws since quite a few locals use them routinely for gathering their firewood or just cleaning up around the farm.

I normally have one or two runners as well for the ones that come in so badly worn/damaged that repairs are not reasonable.

I can get $80-$100 for one cleaned up and in running condition.

Mark

I've got a Poulan salvage that donor saws are stored out of the rain. If I can take parts from the donor salvage saws to repair one like that I will attempt repairs. I do not buy any new parts except maybe fuel lines. I do not buy sprockets, chains or bars for Poulans.
Can very easily get more into one than they are worth. Every once in awhile I see one that I'm pleasantly surprised at how good they run, start and eat wood.
On the front of several of their owners manuals in big BLACK letters is FOR OCCASIONAL USE ONLY.
Therefore I do not work the late model ones hard.
I have some very OLD MODEL Poulans that are really well built good saws, built for the long haul.

put it on a stump alongside the road and walk away from it.
someone will be happy for a day or so...
Sold two at a yard sale$50 each, need some room in the shop. A day later found one at the dump in better condition than those I just sold. Put new fuel lines on I t and got $100 for it later that week. They have absolutely absolutely zero anti vibe, so don't run em for more than 10 min at a time!

It has a good carburetor but needs a couple of screws and a new spark plug. I also need to take the rust off of the muffler and clean the entire saw. total cost: 20-30 bucks.
Fix it! If the saw has good compression 99% of time all it needs is a carburetor cleaning and a RB kit , purge assembly and fuel lines and new plug. Best homeowners Poulan in my opinion! If the Poulan or Poulan Pro has all the controls on the left side ( choke and kill switch together ) they’re usually not worth the trouble. Worst designed carburetor hard starting and undependable.

Good saw to keep around as a loaner or for flush cutting stumps.
This.

Cause I sure as F ain't letting someone borrow one of my 10-10's or my SXL, or even a Mini Mac for that matter.

Everyone needs at least one Poulan turd for the dirty work. I've got mine, haha.

20220925_164837_HDR.jpg

It has a good carburetor but needs a couple of screws and a new spark plug. I also need to take the rust off of the muffler and clean the entire saw. total cost: 20-30 bucks.
If you decide it’s not worth your time, I’ll pay shipping. I have a 2250 I’m currently overhauling and a junk 2075 on the way that I just bought off of eBay. I like to stay busy.

This.

Cause I sure as F ain't letting someone borrow one of my 10-10's or my SXL, or even a Mini Mac for that matter.

Everyone needs at least one Poulan turd for the dirty work. I've got mine, haha.

View attachment 1051296
Some of those "turd" saws come with a tool-less chain adjuster that isn't quite as lame as a lot of them and is so easy to use that Mr. Homeowner will actually adjust the chain. Now if he would just learn to sharpen too.

I get where you're coming from, but sometimes it's nice to help out a friend in need. Case in point, I loaned my Poulan 3314 to a buddy who was down in his luck. Going through a nasty divorce. Moved out in the middle of winter and was basically living in an uninsulated shed with a wood burner. He used my saw to stay warm that winter. He returned the saw in the spring and I'm still using it. That cheap saw saved his life and it does not owe me a dime.

Some of those "turd" saws come with a tool-less chain adjuster that isn't quite as lame as a lot of them and is so easy to use that Mr. Homeowner will actually adjust the chain. Now if he would just learn to sharpen too.
The average homeowner will have the chain either hanging off the bar or tighter than a banjo string, haha. My personal favorite is when they turn the adjuster screw until it breaks because they never loosened the bar studs.

Before I knew anything about a chainsaw I bought a poulan pro no antivibe was a strato saw. I had just bought a fixer upper house at the start of winter. Was banking on being able to put about 300 a week into fixing it when the 2008 housing bust happened and thus followed the auto market so now I had a pos house and no money coming in. That poulan, my $1400 1977 f100,and odd jobs saved my life. That year kept warm enough. Had reliable enough transportation and wood hauler. Has enough odd jobs to make 200 to 300 a week plus I was able to sale a couple truck loads of firewood. I absolutely hated that saw it ran fine but would not idle and at the time I didn't know crap about chainsaws or this website I finally figured out how to tune a chainsaw 8 years later but it cost me that old purple poulan as I learned the hard way what too lean was... but that being said I bought another poulan pl3314 it barely ran from factory but it did sorta idle. I tuned it right and then mm and so far no problems. That 2nd poulan is about 5 or 6 years old so far I have not had to fix anything and it's almost as fast as my ms250. They are good running cheap saws when you get them tuned.

I've made a few "runners" out of the pile of Wild Things I always find sprinkled through whatever load of saws I just picked up, but never sell them or even really look at them. The 2050/2150 and similar style, however, impress me more than you'd expect. When it's running well, they are tight, snappy, and feel sturdy in your hands. Of course you need to fiddle with it if you let it sit for more than a week, but there's just a certain feel to those models that makes me crack a smile.

Back