Old Beever chipper belt tension.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshwhite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post. I've been hanging around here for a while and really appreciate all the info.

I've got an old Beever chipper (now morbark) that I'm borrowing from a friend who got it 5 years ago on a trade for some equipment and hasn't even used it. I'm clearing a couple acres and have a mountain of brush to chip. It starts and runs great, but I haven't put any wood through it yet. My question is on the belt tension. It squeals the belts a bit when engaging the chipper, so I'm assuming probably would do the same when running bigger limbs through it. Looks to me like the adjustment is by moving the engine. But how tight should the belts be? Also, I'm assuming I should measure each adjuster to make sure both sides of the engine are moved the same amount so it's not at an angle?

Anyone know the model on this?
IMG_20220428_074700880_HDR.jpg

The belts should be very tight. You need to move the engine evenly. If not, you'll put a lot of side load on the clutch. The belts could be dry rotted as its been sitting. If they're single belts, you'll need to buy a whole new set.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

The belts should be very tight. You need to move the engine evenly. If not, you'll put a lot of side load on the clutch. The belts could be dry rotted as its been sitting. If they're single belts, you'll need to buy a whole new set.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400
Thank you! The belts actually are in pretty decent shape, but they're not very tight. I'll snug them up a bit and see how it does.

Thank you! The belts actually are in pretty decent shape, but they're not very tight. I'll snug them up a bit and see how it does.
How’d it go? Squealing gone after tightening? I’m installing a new belt soon and looking into tensioning.

I’m installing a banded belt, 3 inches wide, 4 groove. Need to find out the correct tension and then need a tension gauge, I suppose, if I do it to whatever the spec is. Or just make it tight and call it a day. :)

I think that's the same belt mine has. A tension gauge would be nice, but "make it tight and call it a day" worked fine for me :) Just like any other belt, you want it snug but not overly tight.

The variance in belt pricing was eye opening. My initial searches based on the Altec p/n yielded a couple belts ranging from 125 to 195. Then founded more common similar chippers (bandit) with same size belts, but many more belts cross referenced to their part numbers. “V belt guys” online have that same belt for around $30. Off Road Belts had several options, same sized, cogged, Kevlar, etc. $45 on up. $7 flat rate shipping! I went with a cogged belt (87” OD) at their recommendation. We’ll see how it works out.

Last time I had to adjust bolts (feed box spring adjustment bolts) I ended up having to cut them off and buy new hardware. Hoping engine adjusting bolts work better. I’ll find out in the next week or so.

Back