Old chainsaw revival.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsprudhom

Reaction score
First, I’m new to the site officially. Been searching a reading for a while now. Gotten a lot of good info. So thanks for being here.

Second, i searched, and i would have though an intro/how to thread would be easier to find. I bought an old homelite super 2 for a couple bucks last week and got her going very well very quickly. Subsequently, I’ve been bitten by the old homelite bug. Looking at a c5 and a 770g that a guy is selling together. Both complete and in good original shape. Can get the pair for under $100.

I’m going to go look at them, but was wondering if there was a good do’s/don’t thread when dealing with old saws.

I’m tempted to bring some bar oil and some mix fuel and see if she’ll light off, even momentarily, but I’m hesitant to do that if it’ll hurt something.

Any advise? thanks again in advance

This is my 770G and a C series.
561a3c6fd7be9bb470892d2072ebf51d.jpg
b992a0368e9b62529ab6dd782325778e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you're interested in the old Homelites you could also see House of Homelite, they have plenty of knowledge and information about Homelite chainsaws. Not that AS doesn't but 2 sources are better than 1[emoji106]

Things to look for, first I'd see if it has some compression when pulling the starter rope, then if allowed I'd pull the muffler and inspect the piston and what you can see of the cylinder for scoring. The you know you are gonna need parts like seals, carb kits, etc.. Then I'd check for parts available for it to get them going. I've had a few saws sit while til I was able to find parts. To see if they will start, dribble a little fuel mix into the carb to see if it will fire off also. No need to take any bar oil. Others will chime in.

Steve Sidwell

Thanks folks. I’ll try to get over there next week. Parts seem easy enough to find for these old buggers.

If the cylinder looks good but still low compression look at the rings for carbon build up. I had a Stihl 019 that had low compression that carbon had caused the rings to stay in and not flex. Easy fix and saw worked great.

The carb kits are readily available OEM and your C-5 series saw has a 2" cylinder and rings well they're not cheap are still available too.

Back