Old Dog, Time for New Tricks - need input on getting back into the saw life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaberwky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all - I'm just getting back into saws after a few years' hiatus. Previously heated 4500sf house with OWB for 10 years, cutting up to 12 cords a season. I started with a Stihl 290 and (obviously) found it undersized for my needs. Bought a 461 Magnum and loved it. I learned to tune, maintain, rebuild my saws (with no prior small engine experience), etc. When we moved into town I sold it all. Now we live on lake property with 2+ acres of woods and blowdowns - not heating with wood, only fireplace use. Plenty of cleanup and on-site firewood cutting on trees ranging from 6" - 24", so I'm looking to get another saw. Since I've had a history with Stihl I will probably stay that way.

I would plan on the ability for carb adjustment and rebuilds. I am trying to keep cost down so considering a 250 or 251 with an 18" bar. I'd appreciate input or suggestions. Thanks!

How large is your new home and is wood your primary source of heat? A MS250 will probably keeping you longing for more. A 60cc is a decent one saw plan since cost is a concern.
EDITED Original Post: I am not heating with wood any longer. Only property cleanup and fireplace wood.

Hey all - I'm just getting back into saws after a few years' hiatus. Previously heated 4500sf house with OWB for 10 years, cutting up to 12 cords a season. I started with a Stihl 290 and (obviously) found it undersized for my needs. Bought a 461 Magnum and loved it. I learned to tune, maintain, rebuild my saws (with no prior small engine experience), etc. When we moved into town I sold it all. Now we live on lake property with 2+ acres of woods and blowdowns - not heating with wood, only fireplace use. Plenty of cleanup and on-site firewood cutting on trees ranging from 6" - 24", so I'm looking to get another saw. Since I've had a history with Stihl I will probably stay that way.

I would plan on the ability for carb adjustment and rebuilds. I am trying to keep cost down so considering a 250 or 251 with an 18" bar. I'd appreciate input or suggestions. Thanks!
For trees of that size, I'd get a 562. Even though Stihl's are good, I love my 562 with a 24 inch bar on it, although eastern folks prefer 20 inch bars on them, or so I've heard. I've seen an MS362 and 562xp side by side and the 562 was less plastic-y and simpler overall. I'm not a pro by any means, but I've put probably 40-60 hours on my 562 over the past month and I've got nothing but good things to say about it. An MS250 with a muffler mod will cut 24 inch wood, but it won't be fast and you'll have to cut from both sides. While that is doable (I felled a 95 foot pine with my MS250) I'd much rather have a bigger saw.

For trees of that size, I'd get a 562. Even though Stihl's are good, I love my 562 with a 24 inch bar on it, although eastern folks prefer 20 inch bars on them, or so I've heard. I've seen an MS362 and 562xp side by side and the 562 was less plastic-y and simpler overall. I'm not a pro by any means, but I've put probably 40-60 hours on my 562 over the past month and I've got nothing but good things to say about it. An MS250 with a muffler mod will cut 24 inch wood, but it won't be fast and you'll have to cut from both sides. While that is doable (I felled a 95 foot pine with my MS250) I'd much rather have a bigger saw.
You guys....one post in after years away and you got me doing muffler mods! :)

You guys....one post in after years away and you got me doing muffler mods! :)
I used a cordless drill and a file to do mine, no outside materials needed. It significantly woke up the saw, which is why I recommend it. Plus, I figured it would take at least a week of actively posting before I could convince you to buy a welder and "cut and gut" mufflers.

Buy the Echo. Done. Or buy the other Echo (cs490). Done.

If Makita wasn't shutting down their gas effort I would most certainly have different suggestions.

Ideally, you would buy the non-moronic MS362, but they are expensive.

The cs590 is well constructed, versatile, reasonably satisfying to run (grin factor), and inexpensive.

MS250's are ....., idk.... coarse. At best. They vibrate annoyingly and pulling on the cord is ridiculously too much for the little peanut saw (like really Stihl, wtf!). My 1990 262xp is similar or perhaps even easier to pull over. Other than being an overpriced cheap POS they run good. My eyes are peeled for a nice used one. i'll pay a hundred bucks.

a guy that knows saws wouldn't be happy with an ms250 as an only saw. I don't think.

I'll tell you what is a nice homeowner saw for the discerning user; a Makita/Dolmar 4300/421. Beautiful little saws. The Cadillac. Outperforms the ms250 easily as well as feeling like a proper modern pro-saw in the hands.

I just re-read your query after all that writing I did. Just get an Echo cs590. It will cost nearly the same as the ms250 and .., well that is just ridiculous.

Ironically mine typically wears a 20", pulls the 24" just fine, but that typically gets swapped between the 390xp, when that doesnt have the 36" bar on it.

Ironically mine typically wears a 20", pulls the 24" just fine, but that typically gets swapped between the 390xp, when that doesn't have the 36" bar on it.
Mine had a 28 on it that the saw shop put on it, I couldn't stand having a 28 on the 562 and my 272, so I put a 24 on it and haven't looked back.

Latest posts

Back