Old geezer 4 saw plan😬

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

261cm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well being I am a little old retired geezer, I thought I would post my current 4 saw plan. The first saw I ever bought was a new 023. I got WAY more than my money’s worth out of that saw and gave it to a young man I worked with that needed one very badly but couldn’t afford one. I replaced it with a 230 17 years ago, and the 230 was a better saw and I still have it.
Runs fine, never any problems other than cleaning the carb one time. Decided last year I wanted a 261cm. Bought one, great saw and about the same weight as the 230, but more power. After I got it I liked the looks and what would be very handy around the place for smaller stuff, a 151tc. The 151 was a dog in stock form from the dealer, took the carb off and drilled out the limiters and did a muffler mod, got it back together and tuned it, and that made a HUGE difference. It was horribly rich from the factory, and I guess they didn’t want it to run to lean. I left it just a little rich, but man it is a little terror. Lol. Sometime around the time I got the 230 I bought a HT100 limb saw so I could keep the limbs trimmed up so I could get my little cab tractor under all the trees to keep my place mowed. All in all, I am definitely a Stihl fan. I have never had to buy a single part except for normal wear items such as bars, sprockets, and chain. Not even a spark plug. Heck I still have my first Stihl product which is a FS75 weed eater that is 28 years old and have only had to replace the primer bulb on it. Still use it every week when needed during the summer. Anyway here’s my 4 saws.😬

Attachments

• 25F89AF1-78E3-4342-8F5B-DEE0F1898086.jpeg
    25F89AF1-78E3-4342-8F5B-DEE0F1898086.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 2
I have a stihl 151 TC. Tell me more about how you drilled out the limiters...or did you just take off the limiter caps to make the saw more adjustable?

I drilled through the aluminum housing on the carb , over the stops for the limiters. Man I have slept a few days since I done it, but the aluminum sleeves are still inside the carb body, but by drilling where I did, you take out the stop for the jet. If you look around on YouTube you will find a video on it. I just looked at mine, and without disassembling mine I can’t get a picture of it due to the plastic housing around the carb. And yes it is just to allow a full range of adjustment. Mine was pig rich all the way lean.👍

Here is my old geezer dream 4 saw plan .
Have two 200 pound sons that love to cut fire wood and they get along great.
Give each two saws of their choice and fuel at 25 to1and tell them to be safe and come back when my winters supply of birch is cut.
I putter in shop getting more saws ready for them or just to keep CAD active.
Kash

Haha! You got it made with the sons. All I got is 3 dogs that like to get in the way. Lol

I drilled through the aluminum housing on the carb , over the stops for the limiters. Man I have slept a few days since I done it, but the aluminum sleeves are still inside the carb body, but by drilling where I did, you take out the stop for the jet. If you look around on YouTube you will find a video on it. I just looked at mine, and without disassembling mine I can’t get a picture of it due to the plastic housing around the carb. And yes it is just to allow a full range of adjustment. Mine was pig rich all the way lean.👍

I see. You are brave. I will take a look at it better when I can take the saw apart a little to investigate.

Mine was running really rich too. I have only put about 2 tanks through, so I need some more run time to get it broke in first.

If I remember correctly their is a little pin that goes down through the carb body and it sticks down and hits a ledge on the aluminum limiter, and that’s what I got rid of. The limiter cap is still on the needle and there is no use in fighting with it because it does nothing now. If you pull your muffler off and take a look, you will see exactly what you need to open up. Both of these mods made a big difference in the way it performs.

Oh, if yours is like mine was you have a big mess dripping out of the muffler. Mine is now just the normal amount.

Back