Old Husqvarna White Top Rancher 44

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjm240

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
All,
I have been a long time lurker on this site but have not done much posting. I finally am going to refab an old saw. I have my dad's old rancher 44 white top. I believe it is a 1979 build year.

I started by getting the saw running and tuning it to 2 stroke in the cut. I don't have a tach but it seems about right, Might be a tad rich.

Just to see what I was up against I pulled the muffler to check the piston and cylinder. They don't look perfect, I can see some wear but I dont have enough experience to even know what too much wear looks like. I see where the bottom of the piston is shiny. I then did a compression test. It is right about 115 PSI. (I didn't get a photo of the piston or cylinder)

Here is where I need some help. I know the saw has a ton of hours on it. My dad cleared the land to build our house and then he proceeded to cut 3-4 cords of wood every year for 30 years with the saw. He replaced it with a MS-250 about 10 years ago and it has been sitting pretty much since.

Should I try to find a new piston for it? Is there a runout on pistons... should I try to measure the skirt? Have any of you seen this https://www.lilredbarn.net/product-p/pkhu44-42mm-top-end-kit.htm? Everyone says pistons went our of production on these 10 years ago but this place seems to have some? Is it worth it to try and put one in?

Or should I just run it?

Also, the spark plug seems to be hitting the piston. It is a BPMR7A. I believe it should have a BPMR6A but the difference in temp shouldn't impact it hitting the piston should it? Any tips on what plug I should put in there? Why would this one hit the piston?

Attachments

• Rancher 44 on post.jpg
    Rancher 44 on post.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Rancher 44 piston.jpg
    Rancher 44 piston.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Rancher 55 data tag.jpg
    Rancher 55 data tag.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I all depends on what the intended use of the saw would be for. If your looking to put 40- 60 hrs on the saw every year for another 10 years yes a new top end is in your future. Right now the saw is running correctly and doesn't seem to have any major issues. You can give it a good cleaning, prepare it for storage, and put it on a nice display for your Pops where you can both reminisce about the hard work that ol Husky and your ol man did "back in the day". BTW IMHO, that saw has the perfect "patina".

I use the saw a bit over this weekend. It seems to lean out once it gets warm. I have not dug into it or even tried to tune it. I was at the end of the attention span of my 5 year old helper so I had to head back to the barn. Not sure what to look for. Base gasket? Maybe intake leaks when it gets warm.. not sure yet.

One thing I really like about the saw is how quiet it is. Comparted to my MS271 it is a whisper. Does not even require hearing projection. The MS271 screams and almost hurts my ears.

If it's that quiet the mufflers probably choked up. 115 psi is marginal... I'd be pulling the muffler to check it out & have a good look at the piston & carbon build up while you're at it. Carb & fuel lines etc are likely due a going over too. If it still isn't behaving after that you probably want to do a leak test on it

Hello, i have a 44 Husqvarna that i've been working on . It didn't have a bar & chain, while messing with it i noticed it didn't have any bar guide plates ? does anyone know if this saw came with them?

Latest posts

Back