Old Mac showed up today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmall Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well after a long day at work I came home to find a new saw in the barn :greenchainsaw:

Last week my neighbor told me about a freind of his who had a old McCulloch he wanted to get rid of, I told Billy to let me know what he wanted and I'd get in tough if I was interested. Well today I get home and dad said Billy droped it off today and said the owner didnt want a thing for it he just wanted it saved from the scrap heap :clap: ....... No problem.

101_2410.jpg

Here she be, Mac 660 wearing a 24" bar and 404 chain, I cant get over the shape its in, I didnt check compression yet but it feals right on par with my 066, when I get a little time I'll be cleaning it up and I'll get it running again.

101_2413.jpg

Not much paint off the bottom and the bar looks real good, I doubt it has many hours on it

101_2412.jpg

The only flaw is a little JB weld repair to the case on the upper corner just above the bar. Storry goes it got ran over by a dozer at one point and was repaired, so far the JB weld and a hose clamp on the muffler are the only battle scars that I see. All in all not to bad IMHO

101_2415.jpg

Heres the old Mac my grandfather had back in the day, the tag is gone but its about the same physical size as the 660 and is also wearing a 24" bar. Being real excited about the 660 I decided to pull this out of the attic for a couple pics.

101_2414.jpg

Hopefully someone who is more in tune with the macs can tell me a little more about grandpas saw here. Dad claims it needs a clutch but after pulling it over I'm guessing a set of rings to. The muffler is off and the piston looks good so hopefully the rings just stuck from sitting for the past 25 years.

Really nice pair of saws you have got there. Your grandads saw looks a bit like a McCulloch 740 and appears to be in nice shape. Spares should be easy enough to get hold of, and I'm sure a good clean up will have her sparkling.

Look forward to hearing more about these two saws.

Regards,

Chris.

Don't assume the clamp is a "farmerized" repair. One version of Mac mufflers was made with the clamp from the factory so it could be taken apart to clean and/or install a spark screen. I think its original. Nice find on the 660! Can't help with grandpaps Mac, they made a blue zillion of them that looked almost identical. It looks like my 1-72. Turn it upside down and there will be a model number stamped in the bottom. May have to clean some crud off. Often, they had two model numbers stamped in it, and crossed out the one that it wasn't. Hope thats clear, Jim Beam is hampering my already lousy ability to articulate what I'm thinking.:cheers::cheers:

Don't assume the clamp is a "farmerized" repair. One version of Mac mufflers was made with the clamp from the factory so it could be taken apart to clean and/or install a spark screen. I think its original. Nice find on the 660! Can't help with grandpaps Mac, they made a blue zillion of them that looked almost identical. It looks like my 1-72. Turn it upside down and there will be a model number stamped in the bottom. May have to clean some crud off. Often, they had two model numbers stamped in it, and crossed out the one that it wasn't. Hope thats clear, Jim Beam is hampering my already lousy ability to articulate what I'm thinking.:cheers::cheers:

Agree, looks just like my 1-72s. The clamp on that muffler is probably original, it is identical to what's on my Super 797. It holds the cover and the spark screen to the back plate that has the 3 bolts to hold it to the the block/port. You have to pull the clamp to get to the muffler bolts.

Thanks for the info, I never would have guessed that the muffler would have been designed like that, but it make alot of sense back in the day of 16:1 mix ratio.......... I hope I didnt just start an oil thread :cheers:

I'll have to take a look on the bottom of grandpas saw, I was having the same issue determining the modle my self by looking at pisc, after a while they all started to look alike.

After a closer look the 660 apears to be a gear drive the other one is direct drive and definitly balences out better, the bar on the 660 tips up alot when I let go of the pistol grip, definitly not a saw I'd want to wander around with at an idle

After checking out a few pics of the 1-71 and 1-72 saws - it definitely does look like one of those two models. They do indeed look very similar, and hard to tell the difference. The 740 is listed on Mike Acres site as a direct drive model.

Regards,

Chris.

Think of the 660 as a Super 250 with a gearbox, they really kick ass for the 87cc displacement. Some of the singing in my ears is from 660s, I spent many happy hours gnawin' wood with one.

This old pic is from the mid 1970s, I'm the goofy bastard on the left.

Thecrew-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
After a closer look the 660 apears to be a gear drive the other one is direct drive and definitly balences out better, the bar on the 660 tips up alot when I let go of the pistol grip, definitly not a saw I'd want to wander around with at an idle

Your 660 has a mickey mouse front handle put on it,
The 660's came with a full wrap handle. Look at the right top
side of the saw just in front of the air filter you will see where
the handle should bolt on. It also bolts right under the fuel tank.

Think of the 660 as a Super 250 with a gearbox, they really kick ass for the 87cc displacement. Some of the singing in my ears is from 660s, I spent many happy hours gnawin' wood with one.

Thecrew-1-1.jpg

Right on, Randy! Notice those orange saws are suffering from bar envy.:greenchainsaw:

I think I remember which chainsaws are in the photo. From the right a guy named Jerry with an Echo 451, my third sawyer Dan with a worked over 10-10 28" bar nicknamed the "Destroyer", my second saw McClain has an Echo 601 and a girl with some sort of Homelite.

I think I remember which chainsaws are in the photo. From the right a guy named Jerry with an Echo 451, my third sawyer Dan with a worked over 10-10 28" bar nicknamed the "Destroyer", my second saw McClain has an Echo 601 and a girl with some sort of Homelite.

I have seen this pic a few times befor when you posted it but never
knew you had a girl on your crew.:jawdrop:
The Homelite looks like 925.

Your 660 has a mickey mouse front handle put on it,
The 660's came with a full wrap handle. Look at the right top
side of the saw just in front of the air filter you will see where
the handle should bolt on. It also bolts right under the fuel tank.

I thought that handle looked a little off but I havent been around the macs much. It did come with the original felling dog and a few spare drive links, and upon closer inspection its wearing 1/2" chipper chain that looks like it has only been sharpened a couple times. When I lookked at it last night I just looked quick and thought it was 404. :givebeer:

Thecrew-1-1.jpg

Randy you have some great pictures from the 70's! You should post more of them!

:agree2:

Thats a good pic of the crew right there, I always enjoy looking at old pics of folks making a living with there hands, and a big saw dosent hurt either. :cheers:

So, have you looked yet to see what model your grandads Mac is? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Back