Old man’s saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shooters Apprentice

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Without going into too many details, we will just say that I haven’t talked to my biological family in years. I was the oldest of 9 kids growing up in a absolute hell hole. I left at 17 and never went back. After a couple more years I cut off all contact. Lots of drug and alcohol abuse. Welfare bums. Crime. Just all the way around a bad deal.

I struggled a bit as a young man. I wanted to be a good kid, but was having a hard time. Living in the back of my truck in a small down in rural Alaska. I borrowed a chainsaw from my girlfriends (wife now) grandparents and starting trying to make money selling wood. One of my first customers was a fellow named Henry. He bought every load for a few years that I didn’t have other buyers lined out for. Henry is one of the hardest working men I’ve ever known. Farmer, equipment operator, and rugged Alaskan, it didn’t take too long for me to start to really admire the guy, and he wife is just a sweet lady all the way around.
Flash forward. I’m 28 now. Work a great job as. Equipment operator, and am well on the way with my own small business. I made a joke a couple years ago about being Henry’s “self proclaimed favorite son” and it stuck since he doesn’t have any sons, just two step daughters.

Couple weeks ago I got one of those Hulzfforma 372XP clones and threw a 36” bar on it. All my wood is cut and stacked, and I’m not logging this year due to deep snow, so I took the saw over to Henry’s and started working over one of his log decks to break in the new saw. As long as I’ve known Henry I’ve never seen him with a saw over 50 cc. He wife is originally from Sitka so is used to “real” saws as she calls them. Anyway, I handed him that 372 and he got to work and he just lit up like a Christmas tree. That old man was like a 5 year old on Christmas morning with that saw.
B41EB86B-8766-4C21-AE96-E865B342569E.jpeg

His only thing was the bar was too long for him, but he went on for a good bit about how awesome that saw was.

Today is his 72nd birthday. We had a get together for him yesterday and I dropped off his birthday present, a blue Holzfforma G372XP with 24” bar. I tell you what, I could have swore I made that man 50 years younger. He couldn’t get dressed and get out to the wood pile fast enough even in the -20 weather.

I didn’t get any pics of him with it since we were having too much fun.

But mainly, I just want to say happy birthday to my dad. They say you can’t pick family, but I wouldn’t be who I am today if it wasn’t for This man and he has no idea how grateful I truly am for him taking me under his wing and showing me how to be a man.
A818F4D9-80C9-4FA6-A3BE-DC8A9E1B385F.jpeg

Salute to you Shooter, I agree, you got your Journeyman card now.

I've always said since its so common now, you can't be his Father, but you can be his DAD. Henry sounds like a good person and it sounds like you needed him, and he needed you. Thats just good all the way around. Thanks for sharing.

Well done all around, Shooters Apprentice. Thanks for sharing this great story. Too often we wait till these special people are no longer with us to voice how much we appreciated them and the impact they had on our lives. That’s one regret we can all prevent. Best to you and Henry!

Good, heart warming tale, Shooters.
I'm 71, to be 72 in April. I love those medium sized Husqvarna types. I find I can throw them around just as I could flash down a log with my 288s back in my timber felling days.
My 372s and Makita 7900s still bring a smile to my face. When I dawg into a log with my 288s, I break out in laughter. Hope your Dad always finds joy in running powerful saws.

Great story. Kudos to you, Shooter, for taking the "high road" and staying away from drugs and alcohol. That **** is bad ju-ju. It sounds like you've really made something of your life. Well done, lad. That was a very nice gesture to gift your adopted "dad" a saw. That says a lot about both of you.

At some point, you may want to reach out to siblings and see if you can help out and rescue some that are "lost". That might seem like an impossible task today, but you are still family, and the worth of a person is still great. Again, well done.

JQ

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
I went over today and we fired up the saws and got some wood cutting done.
CF7EE319-24B3-4DCD-A2FE-D0F9A065122C.jpeg

He got super bummed out when he hit a spike in one of the logs and messed up the chain. Luckily for him I keep spare chains in the truck and had a sharp 84 link chain for my 460 rancher with me, so we have him back up and cutting in about 5 mins. Ran 2 tanks through the saw today which brings us up to a total of 3. Filled it up again and I put it in the wood and tuned it up and man he really liked that saw after I got a little more juice out of it.

Ive got a roll of chain at the shop. Guess I’ll have to spin him up a extra chain or two.
8F74C3CC-6E8A-4B13-866C-231BDB7559B7.jpeg

Latest posts

Back