Old Muscle, Your Favourite Sounding Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a real torquer.
Yes, I generally use a 36" bar with 404 on it for stumping because I rarely have to use a wedge to lift the stump! It just keeps pulling regardless of the weight of the stump on the b/c.
The only factory option for the rim is a .404 8pin with the odd large 6 spline drum. I can't imagine how it would pull with a 7pin 3/8ths.

A personal favorite of mine is the pm-610. Obviously not a very popular saw as it basically was a brick with an exhaust lol. Very reliable and generally fun to buck with but not feeling.

Yes, I generally use a 36" bar with 404 on it for stumping because I rarely have to use a wedge to lift the stump! It just keeps pulling regardless of the weight of the stump on the b/c.
The only factory option for the rim is a .404 8pin with the odd large 6 spline drum. I can't imagine how it would pull with a 7pin 3/8ths.
I see an old thread just got revisited.
I thought I would add that as you noted that saw had the oddball 6 spline rim drive but Homelite did make a standard 7 spline drive rim/drum for it also. I think Oregon might have also. I have a few but they are tough to get. I wanted them so I could run 3/8 chain on my 2100 saws

my 36cc 4 mix pole saw sounds like a 50cc Honda kid's bike. The Honda four cycle similar shaped devices sound different.

II notice this is an older thread. Not sure I have much experience with old muscle saws but is there a diesel option in this class?

There is a diesel chainsaw, YouTube Jonsereds diesel or Comet diesel you will find some videos.

I have a Jonsered diesel but she has not ran in a good number of years.

Here are some videos of some that do. There might be a langauge barrier but you get the point.

A couple to really go back in time….
Pro-Mac 610 really wakes up the neighbors if you know what I mean.

Last but not least A Stihl 028 Super Wood Boss really knows how to flex its muscles!!
Just saying

Not my favorite sounding saw, although it sounds much different now.. but definitely favorite saw in general

Attachments

• received_413348543551888.mp4
    3.5 MB
Husqvarna 288 XP; ported; gutted, dual port muffler.
When I lived and worked in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, friends who knew saws would call me later in the work day with a report of hearing my 288s.
It would go something like, "OMG Watson, we were on the opposite side of town and we could hear that beast of yours today, and could tell by the sound that it was you!"
I have an old 288xp. It is stock, but still sounds very nice.

Latest posts

Back