Old Squire wood stove...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got one of this used Squire wood stove for cheap years ago.1665194193192.png

It had some cracks in the steel, one on the right upper corner of the door under that hood above the door. Two other cracks were in two corners on top/vent. A friend welded the cracks up good and now I'm ready to put it in my fireplace. I'll need to have mason to cut/saw 2 or 3 runs of brick in top of opening of the fireplace to have room to put the stove in the fireplace and and attach a boot and a flex pipe up the clay flue. The blower still runs fine after many years. Will the stove just crack again soon? should I just sell it? we use our fireplace for about 2 months and only when it's very cold, any advice is good to me.

Hard to know for sure. I've had a few stress cracks develop in my furnace, all have been welded once. One by the door came back a second time, cracked straight through the repaired weld bead. Ended up grinding it out, welding it, grinding the weld flat, and adding a reinforcement plate around that area. Hasn't been an issue since.

Drill holes at the ends of the cracks and weld those up when you do the cracks. Will help to keep them from propagating again.
My friend did drill holes and did a great job on the stove he also painted w high temp paint. He told me to burn hot fire outside before putting it in the fireplace .I have a brick and mortar chimney and I would like to put the stove in the fireplace and just get a surround to seal it to the fireplace. Anything wrong with using a surround ?

Sharp corners can see very high stress as the steel experiences thermal expansion and contraction.

Even a small radius spreads force over a larger area.

Drilling a hole at the end of a crack spreads out the stress.

I got one of this used Squire wood stove for cheap years ago.View attachment 1022546

It had some cracks in the steel, one on the right upper corner of the door under that hood above the door. Two other cracks were in two corners on top/vent. A friend welded the cracks up good and now I'm ready to put it in my fireplace. I'll need to have mason to cut/saw 2 or 3 runs of brick in top of opening of the fireplace to have room to put the stove in the fireplace and and attach a boot and a flex pipe up the clay flue. The blower still runs fine after many years. Will the stove just crack again soon? should I just sell it? we use our fireplace for about 2 months and only when it's very cold, any advice is good to me.
That stove is a flashback from my childhood. I hope it works out for you.

I got one of this used Squire wood stove for cheap years ago.View attachment 1022546

I have one of these, exactly like it and still using it. Need help finding the thermostat switch heat sensor, and know where to find it, thanks I have it out of the stove but can't seem to locate a new one.

Latest posts

Back