Old Stihl NOS 1/4" chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GoRving

I only have 2 running saws that use this size chain, but a friend of mine has about 1/3 of a spool of it(commercial spool). I could probably buy the spool from him. I had alot of trouble finding the new chain for my 2 saws back when I needed it(didn't know he had it). Don't use the 2 small saws much, but was wondering if I should grab the roll.

Only place I know to get it is at Bailey's. Grab it if you can get it at a good price. You might calculate the price from Bailey's. It ain't cheap! I've got several saws that use it.

Last edited:
Stihl does still make 1/4 chain, but I don't know if it just comes
in loops made for their carving bars. I bought one of their 12 inch
carving bars and 4 loops of chain. Dealer charged me same price
as what 12 inch picco chain cost.

attachment.php

TT

My dealers don't stock it but if I tell them how many drive links they can order it. I know it is costly to get. If you can get it and the presets then go for it if you have the need.

TT

You got a deal there!

attachment.php

TT

Yes, he must be tired of looking at the roll of chain, because he is losing money.

Yes, he must be tired of looking at the roll of chain, because he is losing money.

He ordered in pre-made loops..........but I was wrong on the price.
It was more than a other chains $13.99 ea, and it was just over 2 years ago!

Am sorry for my CRS!

attachment.php

TT

attachment.php

TT

Stihl makes two 1/4 pitch chains. The newer one (13RMS) is for use on small tipped carving bars. The rear of the cutter has been modified to go around the tip better when in contact with wood. The older Stihl chain is pretty poor for carving (runs really hot at the tip because the back of the cutter rubs the wood).

I also read the straps/links are modified to go around the bend better too, but when I compared the chains I could not see that difference.

The 13RMS is really expensive (costs me almost 3 times as much as stihl 3/8 when compared by the foot). But the 13RMS chain is really great for carving, and well worth the extra money. It's by far the best 1/4 pitch carving chain IMO.

I'ved tried modifying the back of the cutters on my Oregon and WP 1/4 carving chain like the traditional way the carvers do it, but besides the hassle I have no way of getting each cutter perfectly the same as eachother so my grinder can index the same for each tooth for sharpening.

The Stihl has already done the modification perfectly, and as with most Stihl chain it's an excellent chassis and keeps an edge longer than the others. It's hard to find locally, so I order it by the reel (and cry a little over the price). I have to order extra ties and presets, as Stihl doesn't include enough to make up enough short chains to use a spool.

I'll throw in that I think that 1/4 pitch chain is really underrated as a small saw chain for most woods. Really controlled yet fast cutting. I am told that it is still popular with some production thinners of small wood, and I can see why. It's very forgiving to use.

Last edited:
Stihl makes two 1/4 pitch chains. The newer one (13RMS) is for use on small tipped carving bars. The rear of the cutter has been modified to go around the tip better when in contact with wood. The older Stihl chain is pretty poor for carving (runs really hot at the tip because the back of the cutter rubs the wood).

I also read the straps/links are modified to go around the bend better too, but when I compared the chains I could not see that difference.

The 13RMS is really expensive (costs me almost 3 times as much as stihl 3/8 when compared by the foot). But the 13RMS chain is really great for carving, and well worth the extra money. It's by far the best 1/4 pitch carving chain IMO.

I didn't know about it when I bought my chains, but I stink at carving anyway :(

See PDF about the new 1/4 chains

I didn't know about it when I bought my chains, but I stink at carving anyway :(

See PDF about the new 1/4 chains

I don't think it was quite available two years ago.

Your chain (13RM) is still a good chain, and a common modification to carving chain (before 13rms came out) is to grind the back of the cutter at an angle to remove some of the length.

With a full length cutter, the back of the cutter makes a bigger circle going around the bend of a dime tip than the cutter itself. Makes lots of heat and little cutting.

I am not a real chainsaw carver, but I use the small bars for some sculptural work including carved bowls and such. My most recent foray is into hydraulic saws, and lately I spend about 25 hrs a week running them - often with carving bars but sometimes with longer bars.

If anyone thinks their gas chainsaw habit is costly, then just try the hydraulic route with multiple saws, hose sets, etc. Makes a 3120 seem like a bargain.

I don't think it was quite available two years ago.

Your chain (13RM) is still a good chain, and a common modification to carving chain (before 13rms came out) is to grind the back of the cutter at an angle to remove some of the length.

With a full length cutter, the back of the cutter makes a bigger circle going around the bend of a dime tip than the cutter itself. Makes lots of heat and little cutting.

I am not a real chainsaw carver, but I use the small bars for some sculptural work including carved bowls and such. My most recent foray is into hydraulic saws, and lately I spend about 25 hrs a week running them - often with carving bars but sometimes with longer bars.

If anyone thinks their gas chainsaw habit is costly, then just try the hydraulic route with multiple saws, hose sets, etc. Makes a 3120 seem like a bargain.

I bet it can pull a long bar.......what kind of GPM and PSI does it take to run?

TT

I bet it can pull a long bar.......what kind of GPM and PSI does it take to run?

TT

Edit: Here's a link to some discussion on modifying 1/4 pitch chains for carving: His diagram shows half the cutter having been removed which is a bit extreme.

http://www.chainsawsculpture.co.uk/carving/carvingtools1.htm

There are two current Stanley hydraulic chainsaw models (sort of the only game in town, unfortunately, as they haven't evolved for 35 yrs).

Stanley cs05 - rated at up to 2000 psi in the 4 - 6 gpm range
Stanley cs06 rated at up to 2000 psi in the 6 - 9 gpm range.

I tend to like to run them in the top of the gpm range for lots of rpm.

They are pretty torquey, but in terms of raw performance a good gas saw takes away their lunch money. I had a custom 10 hp electric power unit made, and for example my 7900 simply blows my hydraulics away for sheer cutting ability.

But when running saws for hours in confined spaces (like hollowing things) it is really addicitive to have little noise and NO FUMES. And when you let go the trigger the chain stoppings immediately which is nice too.

Here's a pic of when it first followed me home and another with it in place. I have since replumbed the hoses, built a sound box around the power unit and mounted it on a nice wagon with 16 inch pnuematic tires. The saws are small, so they look pretty silly when I put a 42 inch bar one them.

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

Last edited:
That is nice BT!!!

I was thinking, I already have a power unit, 82 HP JD tractor and a good
supply of hyd. hoses. It puts out 2,200 psi but I don't know the GPM.
And that is if I was ever come across a used saw. I do have a NIB
hyd. motor that would be about the right size.

TT

That is nice BT!!!

I was thinking, I already have a power unit, 82 HP JD tractor and a good
supply of hyd. hoses. It puts out 2,200 psi but I don't know the GPM.
And that is if I was ever come across a used saw. I do have a NIB
hyd. motor that would be about the right size.

TT

Depending on the gpm of your JD tractor, it's a possibility. I have bought most my stanley saws on ebay, and some come with hoses. Some have been bargains. In general the motors are pretty indestructible.

For pre mid 80 stanleys, you need to pick a model that does either open or closed spool hydrualics depending on your source. Later stanleys can be switched to either mode.

For most cutting out in the open, though, it's hard to beat a good gas saw. No messing with hoses. And they run good old fashioned bar lube rather than using hydraulic oil for bar lube (not a great bar lube).

I tried to buy the roll today, but he won't sell. He says he has a saw that takes that size. I'd have bet money that I could have gotten it, but you never know. :confused:

Back