Old truck box for a woodshed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have an old aluminum 14 foot truck box I’ve been using as a poor man’s shed. I’m getting a 40’ high cube shipping container dropped off on Friday. I’m wondering if the 14’ box would make a good wood shed or modify it a bit to make like a half assed solar kiln to help dry the wood. Any thoughts?

I would just guess that if the box is air tight and your wood is green, it would mold inside before it dried out. Just an opinion, not based on any personal knowledge.
Its not air tight. My first thoughts were to just leave the roll up door open all the time. I also thought I could cover the door area with that plastic roofing material to make like a green house kinda deal. As of now I have no immediate plans. It’s just something. I’m kicking around.

Noting your state, mind if I ask where you're getting the container from? I ran into a place in northern Vermont called Moe's that sells 20' containers for $5300. Once I get the new house situated(foundation isn't poured yet), I'll probably buy a couple.

As far as wood storage, the air flow thing has already been hit. Unless you put bone dry wood in there, you'll probably see mold. Heck, here at the place I'm renting the wood storage is open on three sides and it will still get moldy in the back. I'm going to end up building something like this.

I would cut up and scrap your box truck, but that just me.

Noting your state, mind if I ask where you're getting the container from? I ran into a place in northern Vermont called Moe's that sells 20' containers for $5300. Once I get the new house situated(foundation isn't poured yet), I'll probably buy a couple.

As far as wood storage, the air flow thing has already been hit. Unless you put bone dry wood in there, you'll probably see mold. Heck, here at the place I'm renting the wood storage is open on three sides and it will still get moldy in the back. I'm going to end up building something like this.

I got it from a company called mobile mod. I’m guessing it will be much cheaper than what you were quoted. My truck box is in great shape except for the doors hard to open. I’m definitely not scraping it.

I got a 40 foot conex for $1600 + 800 for delivery=$2400.00, a year ago.
Mine iis water tight as long as it is not submerged in water.
It gets really hot in summer, when it is 90-100F all day.
As for mold, I have no ideal.

Regarding mold, if the vents get clogged on it will get really moist inside. As in raining from the ceiling moist.

We shipped a Tricon(similar concept container, but smaller) from AK to CA full of nicely lubed crew served weapons. When we cracked the box, everything was brown and the ceiling was running with water. The vents had clogged/malfunctioned.

I would keep an eye on the vents to make sure nothing builds a nest in there. Especially down there in SC as I've seen the same problems at Bragg in NC.

Regarding mold, if the vents get clogged on it will get really moist inside. As in raining from the ceiling moist.

We shipped a Tricon(similar concept container, but smaller) from AK to CA full of nicely lubed crew served weapons. When we cracked the box, everything was brown and the ceiling was running with water. The vents had clogged/malfunctioned.

I would keep an eye on the vents to make sure nothing builds a nest in there. Especially down there in SC as I've seen the same problems at Bragg in NC.
What vents??

That’s a killer price! I couldn’t find anything near that. Prices are crazy but I needed one so….

My friend uses one for a woodshed he cut square slots around the top and covered the holes with window screen to allow ventilation. The reason is because during damp and humid weather it the container would sweat allowing moisture build up inside and the walls was soaked with water.

My new 27' x 10' x 8' tall firewood shed with splitter shed.
Cost was about $7000
IMG_20211217_155002617.jpg

Back