Older stihl pro saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess you got me on that one. Funny thing though, I type in "stihl 038 wood boss" in Google. My old 024 comes up in the third picture. creepy!
04545804c5a947a6c01eee93cbfcb99a.jpg

f1e22ba5a50bef30ad5391c9899cd5b6.jpg

Is there a list of which older stihl saws are pro saws? When I hear Farm boss I think Ranch/Farm saws not pro saws. Is the 038 Farm boss a pro saw? I am looking at acquiring an 038 magnum but I have run across a couple 038 Farm bosses.

I would love to learn more about older stihl chainsaws, any good reading material out there or if some of you experts would like to educate me I would be grateful. Thanks, Matt

Very old post...I know some object to resurrecting very old posts, but I have new info for the original poster which may help.

I built a list. This list is partial and needs work, but it is growing.

I was in the same situation. I didn't know which saws were originally intended for hard daily use and which ones were not?

My signature has a link to the saw list. Help would be appreciated.

Very old post...I know some object to resurrecting very old posts, but I have new info for the original poster which may help.

I built a list. This list is partial and needs work, but it is growing.

I was in the same situation. I didn't know which saws were originally intended for hard daily use and which ones were not?

My signature has a link to the saw list. Help would be appreciated.
The op that hasn’t been here in 8 years?

Yeah, might.

Enlighten me about how this works... I see on the poster's profile info

ArboristSite Lurker​

JoinedSep 20, 2010
Messages 10
Reaction score 4
LocationMichigan

Is there a way to see if they are still active?

As far as click bait is concerned I created the page on my site because there I have full control of the format and length of the list without limits on post length, etc.

Lots of info missing from the linked pro saw listing webpage. Honestly not sure the point of this exercise actually is, especially if it is incomplete or inaccurate.

Example: list includes Husqvarna 242se. What about 242xp? 246? 238se? 42? 234 (assuming you can find one)? These other saws are missing. Why?

I am just getting started with this list. Your input about missing 242xp is well taken. I will investigate, when I get time.

Ask yourself, this: If looking for your first used chainsaw and you bought one from this list, would you be OK? That's the point, to help a new buyer get a decent saw. The models are confusing, even for experienced people. Words like "Farm Boss" and "pro" are thrown around a lot. Poulan "Pro" saws I don't believe are quite what the title suggests.

Others have wanted a list like this before, and so have I. Nobody else did it, so I stepped up to get it started.

There are so many variables in buying and maintaining a used saw, I’m not sure that its inclusion in or exclusion from a list is going to mean a lot from the user experience perspective.

A running 290 Stihl is better than a better-built 028 Super that needs parts that are NLA, for example. I wouldn’t recommend a saw with rare or NLA parts to most people, even if it is objectively better.

There are so many variables in buying and maintaining a used saw, I’m not sure that its inclusion in or exclusion from a list is going to mean a lot from the user experience perspective.

A running 290 Stihl is better than a better-built 028 Super that needs parts that are NLA, for example. I wouldn’t recommend a saw with rare or NLA parts to most people, even if it is objectively better.
This is actually very good reasoning and advice. Rather have a more modern turd then an old pro model that went the way of the dodo bird.

And I can't believe we're posting on a thread from 2014........

Good topics never die, no matter how old the post.

I agree that a saw with unavailable parts is not quite as appealing as a newer one with full support.

Also, a poorly maintained saw isn't gonna be great no matter the initial quality.

Understood, and good points.

Lots of info missing from the linked pro saw listing webpage. Honestly not sure the point of this exercise actually is, especially if it is incomplete or inaccurate.

Example: list includes Husqvarna 242se. What about 242xp? 246? 238se? 42? 234 (assuming you can find one)? These other saws are missing. Why?
Some of that has been updated, fyi

Old posts die for a reason, typically the topic becomes irrelevant, question was answered, or the op isn't active anymore. Many times it's just easier to start a new thread to get the relevant answers/conversation going.

Back