on road diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've been told, fuel oil/heating oil is still high sulfur here.

I'm not sure. I run it in the equipment and no issues.

I found a brand new old stock drum of 30 weight in the tweeds at the shop. My last fill up I put 10 gals of that oil in my tank (275 gal tank).

There is now no difference in on-road and off-road diesel, except for the red dye. In the past, off road diesel had a higher sulfur content. However, some time back the govt. put a stop to the use of high sulfur diesel. So, now they are the same, except for the red dye indicating that no highway tax has been paid on the off road stuff.
Jeff

EXACTLY

Per federal law, the only heating oil or diesel fuel produced and sold in the Unitd States in the last 4 years has been ULSD.

Per federal law, the only heating oil or diesel fuel produced and sold in the Unitd States in the last 4 years has been ULSD.

Dunno, I think the company we buy fuel from would know what they are pumping. They said it's 3000ppm sulfur.

Quite a few stations have diesel priced at $3.99/gallon! Costco is the best deal at $3.05/gallon but the price changes at least daily. You may know the state of Collyfornia just upped the diesel fuel tax by $0.20/ gallon November 1st. Gasoline tax went up 12 cents. Our vehicle reg "went" up January 1st 2018. My 2002 F350 is now $409.00/year.

So can I run the off-road diesel in my chipper. When it is running it running off road. But it being towand on the road. So is ok in MA to run off road diesel in the chipper!? thanks for any find back Carl
You should have no problems with running RED diesel in your chipper as it is not a self propelled unit even with it standing in the road to do It's designed job you should be able to use RED fuel it applies only to using non tax paid fuel on the road in a vehicle subject to requiring to use Tax paid fuel the diesel is more or less identical brew the on road has a few extra additives If you run a diesel with a mechanical fuel injection pump & no computer gizmo's adding 2 Smoke mix oil at a ratio of 200mili litres to 80 litres of fuel (sorry not into Imperial mes) will help as the sulpher content has been reduced older engines seem to run quieter/smoother with rather than without the oil using modern road diesel fuel

In California it depends on what kind of license plate you have. If it is the regular PTI plate you have to run clear road taxed fuel. If the plate is an SE plate you CAN run red dyed fuel but it is best to avoid the problems caused by uninformed CHP officers. It's like having a flat bed on your 3/4 ton pickup and towing a gooseneck dump trailer. DMV/CHP require a commercial license to drive your pickup truck but you can't get a commercial license in a pickup truck. Welcome to California.

BTW there is no difference between red dyed diesel and clear diesel. Diesel is a "pipeline product" which means all diesel has the same specs. The seller can add dye or additives but there is only one base product. If I drive a few hours east I would be buying a winter mix diesel fuel and the driving home to 80 degree weather. (Just like winter blend gasoline for chainsaw mix, this has given USFS problems and burn victims.)

In California it depends on what kind of license plate you have. If it is the regular PTI plate you have to run clear road taxed fuel. If the plate is an SE plate you CAN run red dyed fuel but it is best to avoid the problems caused by uninformed CHP officers. It's like having a flat bed on your 3/4 ton pickup and towing a gooseneck dump trailer. DMV/CHP require a commercial license to drive your pickup truck but you can't get a commercial license in a pickup truck. Welcome to California.

BTW there is no difference between red dyed diesel and clear diesel. Diesel is a "pipeline product" which means all diesel has the same specs. The seller can add dye or additives but there is only one base product. If I drive a few hours east I would be buying a winter mix diesel fuel and the driving home to 80 degree weather. (Just like winter blend gasoline for chainsaw mix, this has given USFS problems and burn victims.)
We ***** about California but you couldn’t get me to move east for all the tea in China.

On road and offroad is the same just a different color.

I run 2 stroke oil in everything that burns diesel . I even run 2 stroke oil in 4 stroke gas engines every ounce in awhile.

Ive ran red green and jp8 in my cummins with no difference

Off road diesel isn't DOT taxed. So it's illegal to run on pavement. They dye the on road stuff so it can be checked by dipping the tank. You'll have no issues running off road or on road diesel.

And yes you can have diesel in your chipper even if you are pulling it down the road. The chipper falls under trailer rules not vehicle rules.

And yes you can have diesel in your chipper even if you are pulling it down the road. The chipper falls under trailer rules not vehicle rules.

In Cali chippers and even some stationary engines that run on diesel like generators have to comply with the air resources boards and have a "green stickers" and use DEF. I have asked the Highway Patrol and DMV if a chipper can run red dyed fuel and nobody knows.

The state has numerous agencies (as do the counties) regulating "polluting" equipment. It seems every agency thinks it has the final word on things but even with thousands of pages of regulations you can't get a straight answer. Often, like where I live, trying to legally burn "slash" I deal with three counties, the state, EVERY local resident who could be affected by the smoke, and worst of all several local air boards full of unelected officials. CDF aka Cal Fire wants me to burn but it is sometimes not possible.

In Cali chippers and even some stationary engines that run on diesel like generators have to comply with the air resources boards and have a "green stickers" and use DEF. I have asked the Highway Patrol and DMV if a chipper can run red dyed fuel and nobody knows.

The state has numerous agencies (as do the counties) regulating "polluting" equipment. It seems every agency thinks it has the final word on things but even with thousands of pages of regulations you can't get a straight answer. Often, like where I live, trying to legally burn "slash" I deal with three counties, the state, EVERY local resident who could be affected by the smoke, and worst of all several local air boards full of unelected officials. CDF aka Cal Fire wants me to burn but it is sometimes not possible.

Run with the red dye, we do and we are the largest company in the US if you include landscape, we would not do it if it was illegal. We have CARB checking us all the time because we are so big, so just run it and don't worry.
Jeff :confused:

Is Cali still part of the US? Lol anyway on/off road diesel has nothing to do with pollution, they both burn the same. Of course that state is all F'ed up and I wouldn't put anything past them

Latest posts

Back