One of my wood splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This ome
Is a 4’ Dittier that i converted to 3 point hitch and PTO pump. It still leaves a lot to be desired by design but it’s much better than it was. Currently it is hooked to the Allis Chalmers D-14 with ARPS half tracks, this splitter had tiny wheels and was 12” to the top of the beam, since i am 6’2 at the peak I prefer them taller. We split 4’ wood for the evaporator, roughly 15 cord a year.
I took down a dead black birch in the driveway that i was afraid was going to start dropping limbs, or worse, rather than risk damage to a kid or a car I figured to clean it up . Little more than half a cord. I dont get really picky with brush, big as i can move and use the tractor. Brush mincers just make a lot of work for themselves.
I would usually use the other splitter, a home made one that is much more robust. My dad built it in the late 70’s and I converted it to 3 point PTO about 15 years ago. This one was here and hooked up. I wanted my 4 way wedge for sure!

Attachments

• 68E5DAAC-8C16-4094-B092-030839A38A74.jpeg
    68E5DAAC-8C16-4094-B092-030839A38A74.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • D1EE6FCD-CE4E-458B-A88E-0E6F64B9561D.jpeg
    D1EE6FCD-CE4E-458B-A88E-0E6F64B9561D.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 1
This ome
Is a 4’ Dittier that i converted to 3 point hitch and PTO pump. It still leaves a lot to be desired by design but it’s much better than it was. Currently it is hooked to the Allis Chalmers D-14 with ARPS half tracks, this splitter had tiny wheels and was 12” to the top of the beam, since i am 6’2 at the peak I prefer them taller. We split 4’ wood for the evaporator, roughly 15 cord a year.
I took down a dead black birch in the driveway that i was afraid was going to start dropping limbs, or worse, rather than risk damage to a kid or a car I figured to clean it up . Little more than half a cord. I dont get really picky with brush, big as i can move and use the tractor. Brush mincers just make a lot of work for themselves.
I would usually use the other splitter, a home made one that is much more robust. My dad built it in the late 70’s and I converted it to 3 point PTO about 15 years ago. This one was here and hooked up. I wanted my 4 way wedge for sure!
Looks like a 36 inch platform. ???

Latest posts

Back