Opinion needed: Nice 026 (pics included) vs used like-new MS260 Pro. . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsk00

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just missed out on buying a really nice like-new MS260 Pro with fully adjustable carb and oiler. However, I may have the opportunity to buy this lightly used 026. I believe gas was left in the machine, which gunked up the carb. I cleaned the carb, but it still runs poorly. Its possible a carburetor will fix it because overall the saw seems to be in good condition. It definitely needs a new filter and probably an impulse line. I’m told the carb for this saw is expensive, around $110. The 026 has the hole for the adjustable oiler, but it does not have an adjustable oiler. Its oiler runs continuously when the motor is running, which drives me nuts because it makes a complete mess, but I can deal with that - perhaps even switch it out at some point.

I’ve read the posts on 026 vs 260, and I’m know they’re both good saws. It really comes down to age/value at this point. My question is whether this 30yo 026 is worth investing in . . . given it's age, I have to assume it is going to need other things replaced (in addition to what i mentioned) sooner than later. Alternatively, do I continue to look for a like-new MS260 Pro that runs well and is around 20 years newer. . . . . . thoughts, opinions, etc. all welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_5557.JPEG
    IMG_5557.JPEG
    762.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5569.JPEG
    IMG_5569.JPEG
    760.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5571.JPEG
    IMG_5571.JPEG
    802.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5564.JPEG
    IMG_5564.JPEG
    736.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5556.JPEG
    IMG_5556.JPEG
    677 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5566.JPG
    IMG_5566.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5562.JPEG
    IMG_5562.JPEG
    504.6 KB · Views: 72
I’d say the saw is just as good as a 260, but idk. $110 for a carb sounds steep to me, and I’d check the fuel line before I‘d go off buying a new carb. Carb kits and fuel lines should usually be replaced simultaneously, as the rubber in both will probably fail at the same time.

You know chainsawr? It's not 110; although its doubtful you need a whole new carb....

Saw looks clean. Sometimes it takes a couple of times using carb cleaner tube spraying until it gets clean. Can disassemble carb in put in a jar of fuel mix. Did you use a new carb kit? If not use one as the existing diaphragm could be worn.

Good saws just update to newer condition parts as what was said previously posted above.

I just missed out on buying a really nice like-new MS260 Pro with fully adjustable carb and oiler. However, I may have the opportunity to buy this lightly used 026. I believe gas was left in the machine, which gunked up the carb. I cleaned the carb, but it still runs poorly. Its possible a carburetor will fix it because overall the saw seems to be in good condition. It definitely needs a new filter and probably an impulse line. I’m told the carb for this saw is expensive, around $110. The 026 has the hole for the adjustable oiler, but it does not have an adjustable oiler. Its oiler runs continuously when the motor is running, which drives me nuts because it makes a complete mess, but I can deal with that - perhaps even switch it out at some point.

I’ve read the posts on 026 vs 260, and I’m know they’re both good saws. It really comes down to age/value at this point. My question is whether this 30yo 026 is worth investing in . . . given it's age, I have to assume it is going to need other things replaced (in addition to what i mentioned) sooner than later. Alternatively, do I continue to look for a like-new MS260 Pro that runs well and is around 20 years newer. . . . . . thoughts, opinions, etc. all welcomed.
That is an older version of the 026 with the old tank style. The disadvantage is that the saw cannot be upgraded to the bigger air filter or the newer compensating carburetor.

Your existing carburetor is likely a Walbro WT-194 which should be rebuildable with a $10 kit.

If the crankcase has the hole for the adjustable oiler it is theoretically upgradable but you'll likely pay more for the upgrade parts than you will for the saw. And, yes, I find that half the oil goes to the bar and the other half makes a mess all over the saw. For our trail club use I will not consider this configuration any more or the older tank style. $110 is a good price if you can live with the mentioned shortcomings.

Thanks, everyone! I am new at this, and I was told the carb is $110 from the dealer – WT-194-1 is $126.67 per the Walbro catalog. There are a bunch online for less, but how do I know it is a legit OEM carb and not a knockoff – if you know a trusted seller or what to look for, please LMK. I found the rebuild kit on the Walbro site, perhaps I will try that first. Beside the impulse line, which I am planning on replacing, is there anything else one might suggest replacing while the saw is apart?

Lastly, here are some pictures of a MS260 Pro I was unsuccessful at purchasing. The guy wanted $400. If I can find another MS260 like this, would it be worth forgoing the 026?

Attachments

• IMG_5503_2.png
    IMG_5503_2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5500_2.png
    IMG_5500_2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5502_2.png
    IMG_5502_2.png
    3 MB · Views: 24
Saw looks clean. Sometimes it takes a couple of times using carb cleaner tube spraying until it gets clean. Can disassemble carb in put in a jar of fuel mix. Did you use a new carb kit? If not use one as the existing diaphragm could be worn.

Good saws just update to newer condition parts as what was said previously posted above.
Thanks. I did not use a carb kit. I will try that. What fuel mix do you suggest, and how long do I need to let it soak for?

Thanks. I did not use a carb kit. I will try that. What fuel mix do you suggest, and how long do I need to let it soak for?
  • Use ONLY an OEM carb kit. The package should say Walbro with a fairly recent date of manufacture on it.

• Personally I wouldn't bother to soak it unless it is actual carb cleaner like Berryman's B-12. Berryman's also makes a spray which is all I use.

• You can probably reuse the metering lever but check the height. If you use the new one out of the kit it MUST be properly adjusted.

• DO NOT remove the welch plug unless the low circuit is obviously blocked. Even then try to clear it with the spray cleaner first.

• Your job is to figure out the carb "plumbing" and verify/clean all passages. See the attached service manual.

• DO NOT used compressed air anywhere!

Attachments

• Walbro - SERVICEMANUAL.pdf
    8.5 MB · Views: 9
Nice 026. 260 is basically same saw and also came standard and PRO. Great little saws that should last a lifetime.

Dont worry about the oiler. I used to, but it means nothing in the real world. Even if you let it sit idleing, it’s running at 20% the rpm and oiling at that rate as well.

As for the carb, they are finicky. New Walbro 194 went up in price on eBay. Used to be $40, now 50-60 bucks. You can try a rebuild kit first, but I’d probable toss a new one on and don’t look back. You can spend $10 on an oem rebuild kit, but you may not have success. Sometimes the little passages under the Welch plug gum up and need to be cleaned out. It’s a learning curve and you may be throwing an extra $10 away instead of saving $40.

If you find a junker pro model, you should be able to swap over the oil pump, I loved my old 026. Dad has it now, still a joy to run. Wouldnt say no to a 260 or 261 for cheap either. Good score either way.

Thanks, everyone! I am new at this, and I was told the carb is $110 from the dealer – WT-194-1 is $126.67 per the Walbro catalog. There are a bunch online for less, but how do I know it is a legit OEM carb and not a knockoff – if you know a trusted seller or what to look for, please LMK. I found the rebuild kit on the Walbro site, perhaps I will try that first. Beside the impulse line, which I am planning on replacing, is there anything else one might suggest replacing while the saw is apart?

Lastly, here are some pictures of a MS260 Pro I was unsuccessful at purchasing. The guy wanted $400. If I can find another MS260 like this, would it be worth forgoing the 026?

Here is a link to a genuine Walbro WT-194 carburetor for an 026 for $52.55. I have personally bought from this seller and vouch for the authenticity of the carbs.

EDIT - I would jump all over the 026 while it was available. As has been mentioned by others, you don't gain anything in performance by going from an 026 to a 260. Flippy caps are the main difference and a lot of guys prefer the old style screw-in caps anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OE...rentrq:4cc8f3641750acc6ecd8d357fff84d73|iid:1

Back