Opinion on fuel removed from saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, not to give everyone ammunition regarding 2 stroke oil, but here's what I've got.
Should I go back to 16:1, because it's so bad?
It appears you get what you pay for in this case...

I'd run that at around 25:1 & replace it with a decent synthetic when it's finished & go back to 40:1

I dump that bad looking fuel into my old Ford truck tank.
It will burn most anything.

Other option to consider:
Biden is doing away with fossil fuels and I also heard that the shortage is already on us.
We are going to have to get a solar powered chainsaw soon or one that runs from a windmill. Can only use when wind is blowing or sun is shining.
Some of the batteries are filling up the landfills and polluting the ocean.

My 2 cents on this, use whatever oil brand you want, preferably a good brand such as Stihl, Husky, Echo, Saber, etc. I use Stihl or Husky oil but I prefer Husky because the blue dye is more intense than Stihl's green so I can easily tell that a can is indeed mix. I use the little "Add to one gallon of gas" jugs to make life easier. Whatever ratio you run, be consistent, tune the saw to match it, and you should be good. Saws blow up due to dirty air filters, carbon, lean seizing, piss revving while cold, or straight gas, (usually) not from running 40:1 instead of 32:1.

So thanks to all for the advise regarding the 'new saw' and it's fuel.

Conclusion:
I did take the muffler off and saw a bunch of oil in and around there, being one source for the smoke. I also run the saw on some 40:1 (with low end oil, apparently), and discovered that the saw was running really rich on it's High end. After getting around the latest non-adjustable tech (Pac-man screw head?) I gradually leaned it up half a turn, and have a much less smoky, and apparently functional saw.

So to disappoint everyone, I'll now disclose the saw to be a Blue Max 45cc 20", but it's good enough for my needs at the moment.

The chain needed a lot of sharpening to cut through a few sections of dead wood. But it did!

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_172709360.jpg
    IMG_20210501_172709360.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 28
Back