Oregan 511a grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smity

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a used oregan 511a grinder. with 4 stones...5/32 3/16 1/8 and a flat stone. How can i determine the right size for a chain i have no information on. ie the bar or box it came in? Some of the stones line up pretty well? smity

See attached:

Oregon Grinding angles (and wheel sizes).

For STIHL, use 1/8" wheel for chains filed with 5/32" file, and 3/16" wheel for other chains.

'Flat stone' (1/4"?, 5/16"?) is probably for depth gauges.

Philbert

Attachments

• Oregon Chain Grinding Angles.png
    Oregon Chain Grinding Angles.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 12
  • STIHL File Sizes.png
    STIHL File Sizes.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 11
Oregon 511A manual attached.

Philbert
Thanks Philbert for the information, it will be a great help. The problem i still have is how to determin what chain iam working with. I need to know the size of the chain before i can use the charts you sent me. I read something about measureing the distance betwee three rivits and divide in half and thats the file size. This has not worked for me so i must be doing something wrong.

Each manufacturer has a different system for numbering their chains. If you only use one brand of chain, you can look for that number stamped somewhere on the chain (if it has not worn off). If you work on many different brands of chain, you will have to reference a few sources (usually on their websites). Here are a few (below). Also check the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual:
https://www.oregonproducts.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/MM_EN.pdf
The other option is to buy a simple chain gauge tool for a few dollars; they are fast and easy. I use all of these methods, since I work on different chains. And because I am a chain nerd.

Philbert

Chain Gauge Measuring Tools.png STIHL 0000 893 4105.pngSTIHL

Attachments

• Oregon Chain ID Numbers.png
    Oregon Chain ID Numbers.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Stihl Saw Chain ID.pdf
    97.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Oregon Chain ID.png
    Oregon Chain ID.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 7
Each manufacturer has a different system for numbering their chains. If you only use one brand of chain, you can look for that number stamped somewhere on the chain (if it has not worn off). If you work on many different brands of chain, you will have to reference a few sources (usually on their websites). Here are a few (below). Also check the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual:
https://www.oregonproducts.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/MM_EN.pdf
The other option is to buy a simple chain gauge tool for a few dollars; they are fast and easy. I use all of these methods, since I work on different chains. And because I am a chain nerd.

Philbert

View attachment 933711 View attachment 933712STIHL
Philbert, i wish i could be a chain nerd>lol Thank you for the wonderfull information. I printed it out and tried to study to make sense out of what i think i know. I was under the usumption that there just 4 or 5 different files to sharpen with?? but oregon and stihl try to make it more dificut.I thought you could measure the chain pitch and divide in half and that would give you a file size??? but a .404 pitch in half would be a 13/32 " file and .325 would be a 21/64"file????? i would asume you would get the file as close as you could.What iam getting to belive is that i could sharpen all my friends and neighbors chaines with the 3 wheel i have.

I thought you could measure the chain pitch and divide in half and that would give you a file size???
^ That’s not correct. ^

Once you know the pitch (and brand) of a chain, you can look up and see what size file the manufacturer recommends. Some manufacturers recommend different size files for the same pitch chains than those made by other manufacturers.

You can always decide to use a different size file on your chains, but it’s best if you do this intentionally, and not because you did not know the “right“ size.

Some guys choose to use a smaller or larger diameter file to change how the chain cuts in certain conditions.

Philbert

Thank you Philbert and Capetrees, I think you guys finaly got through to me. I have a chain that has em on the drive link and 36 on gauge tooth,nothing else..The two Stihl chains are marked with u2, v1 and 3/8". could not reference those on the chart that Philbert sent me. I think you just have to use your common sense to determine which file use and see how it cuts. thanks agin guys. Smity

Some more charts (!)
Most people run 1 or 2 makes / model of chain, so it is not complicated to keep up the right file / grinding wheel size.

The 'em' chain might be Husqvarna, and the '36' might mean 3/8 low profile pitch, 0.050 gauge.

The STIHL chains are probably 3/8" pitch, since they call their 3/8 low profile chain 'Picco' ('P').

Screen shot 2021-10-10 at 11.15.41 AM.pngScreen shot 2021-10-10 at 11.15.28 AM.png

Philbert

Some more charts (!)
Most people run 1 or 2 makes / model of chain, so it is not complicated to keep up the right file / grinding wheel size.

The 'em' chain might be Husqvarna, and the '36' might mean 3/8 low profile pitch, 0.050 gauge.

The STIHL chains are probably 3/8" pitch, since they call their 3/8 low profile chain 'Picco' ('P').

View attachment 934291View attachment 934292

Philber
Thanks Philbert .. i will print and save.

Back