• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Oregon bar nose rivets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 9 loose rivets (probably a lot more if I looked around some), five 3/8 tips and one .404 tip. Again, probably more if I looked. Boy, I like this Arborist Site. I'm finding all kinds of stuff in my shop! LOL
Interested in selling that 404 or the lot?
I have several 375 ones here as spares but wth.

Mild steel rod serves as rivet.

I spent a DECADE looking for those half-moon, three rivet .404 sprocket tips. Those Oregon bars were only made in the 70's. Even some whackadoodle AS member said he had a five gallon bucket full of them(showed me a pic of the bucket). After two yrs of trying negotiate with him, I kicked that bucket over and found other sources.

Bailey's at one point, found a bunch of the .404 tips in their old warehouse and sold them online...I didn't get that memo either. The rivets are still made and can be found online through industrial sources. After I secured enough enough tips and rivets, I moved on in life...lesson learned.:confused:

Kevin

Just so everyone knows, Madsen's Shop and Supply has both the 3/8 and .404 three rivet Oregon tips in stock at $22.95 each as of 9/26/2022. Millions of bars were made with those tips so logically the tips are still available. Just guessing they still have the rivets too. Of course, it is 2022 and logic seams to have gone out of vogue. LOL

Madsen's was the one source I didn't try. I don't care how many of those bars Oregon made(I highly doubt "millions"), the tips were NOT freely available in .404....the 3/8 tips were easily found. The .404 tips have been unavailable for decades and even Oregon will tell you that if you contact them. The rivets were never a problem through industrial sources.

Kevin

Just called Madsen's yesterday and they said they had them in both 3/8 and .404. Maybe they're aftermarket. They didn't say. Millions? I can't prove that. But there were a lot. I do know this, I have one originally packaged Oregon, "Made in Canada" .404 bar tip and five originally packaged Oregon, "Made in Canada" 3/8 bar tips left from the hundreds that I purchased back in the day...

Just went diggin' for buried treasure. Here's a pic of most of the 3 rivet bars that I have left. I still use the 42" small block Cannon, 36" and 42" Oregon large block and the 42" and 50" Cannon large block bars. I even found a brand new 36" Oregon 3 rivet small block bar. Oh, and 25 52AJ chains, some brand new, in various lengths in all those little boxes. But alas (poor York) only one brand new .404 tip.

It's so nice out today.

Attachments

• DSCN0976.JPG
    DSCN0976.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0978.JPG
    DSCN0978.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I can tell you there weren't "millions" of those bars made. For whatever reason the production run on that style bar tip was not very long. If anyone is really interested, they can call Oregon and have it looked up in their archives.

I started with General bars which were pretty fantastic in quality...made in OR. Then switched to Oregon probably because of the price and then finally to Cannon because there was none better and they were TOUGH steel.

When I quit west coast loggin' and moved to CO, I sold most of my long bars. I never needed anything in CO larger than 42". For whatever reason the majority of my surviving bars are the Oregon three rivet, half-moon style. The tips had divots from all the work and I was desperate for .404 tips. Hence the very long, mostly unfruitful quest. That AS 'character' with the bucket of .404 tips was something else. I even had his cell phone number. At the end, he wanted to trade my Husky 2100 parts, which were worth hundreds of dollars, for a half dozen or so tips. Maybe that's fair in another universe, but not in mine.:rolleyes:

Kevin

Just so everyone knows, Madsen's Shop and Supply has both the 3/8 and .404 three rivet Oregon tips in stock at $22.95 each as of 9/26/2022. Millions of bars were made with those tips so logically the tips are still available. Just guessing they still have the rivets too. Of course, it is 2022 and logic seams to have gone out of vogue. LOL
Sir that gave me a chuckle. I agree logic seemes to have been lost. I had a small box (no bucket) of those tips around here that I was pretty much trying to give away and no one wanted them. I am wondering if they went in the scrap bin. I think they were all 3/8

I can tell you there weren't "millions" of those bars made. For whatever reason the production run on that style bar tip was not very long. If anyone is really interested, they can call Oregon and have it looked up in their archives.
In no way will I ever argue "millions". How long do you think the production run was ?

I started with General bars which were pretty fantastic in quality...made in OR. Then switched to Oregon probably because of the price and then finally to Cannon because there was none better and they were TOUGH steel.

When I quit west coast loggin' and moved to CO, I sold most of my long bars. I never needed anything in CO larger than 42". For whatever reason the majority of my surviving bars are the Oregon three rivet, half-moon style. The tips had divots from all the work and I was desperate for .404 tips. Hence the very long, mostly unfruitful quest. That AS 'character' with the bucket of .404 tips was something else. I even had his cell phone number. At the end, he wanted to trade my Husky 2100 parts, which were worth hundreds of dollars, for a half dozen or so tips. Maybe that's fair in another universe, but not in mine.:rolleyes:

Kevin
The memo was it cost over 50 each to get a maybe OE from Bailey's. Not sure if anyone even checks them anymore. The Stihl clones aren't any better.
I run old three rivet cannon bars and will need those three rivet tips eventually.

----
Just use soft steel rod for rivets and move on. Glad the guy I found had two used 375 tips in Oregon and he mailed them to me for $25 no rivets. Nice guy retired big wood faller in the south and Northern California had them left over. He ran 404.
Shaun Car sold me a new 375 installed on one bar and one 404 new three rivet. Looking for one more new 404 three rivet and a single rivet Oregon or Cannon 404 and I'm good. The single can be bought new but beware of the fake clones. They have soft sprockets. Cannon will likely replace my Oregon single rivet milling bar noses. Never using clones. Bought one and figured out the difference pretty quick bucking hardwood with a 28"RS ES 660 combo.

Back