Oregon chain breaker components

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unknwn

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Instead of adding yet -another- fixture to my shop's (always) limited set-up/bench/storage area s it seemed second nature to put one of the smallest industrial arbor press to use, just buying the best of available tooling (punch(s) & base arbor).
Investigating available tooling leads me towards the genuine Oregon parts, in hope that their "Made in North America" qualifies those items as sterner stuff, than the "copied by everyone" versions originating across the West pond.
The base arbor (Oregon #111939) is certainly the most elaborate (and expensive) block, and I saw a copied version now being included with those -color of the week- welded-up consumer grade breaker. Since it has the irregular shaped slots (-some- of them are sort of shaped like a chain's cutter) it seems like it MIGHT qualify for some measure of instruction to use it to it's full intent. I even came across a cry-baby review that mentioned the OP's ability to wreck a chain using it (?).
Is that block any more prone to breakage than say, a more-or-less flat one with variable groove widths ?
As far as punch s are concerned, the copied-by-everyone (Oregon 38594) version varies in price from $5 per-up to-maybe $10-$11 for the genuine product (and I'm referring to the smaller 1/4-to-?? one). I made an inquiry to a supply house specializing in chainsaw stuff in my state (Ohio), and their come-back explanation was that it was a consumer-use -always copied- tooling punch. The alternative, @ never less than about $16 was the Oregon 26870 which that supplier referred to as a "Professional" version, which has a distinctly different profile, isn't copied by ANYONE, and from some of the more advanced aspects (filleted 90s and MUCH different pressure points) -looks- like it may actually be longer lived. Another thing I noticed about it was that it does ALL pitch sizes, instead of being expected to have two punch s to deal with all normally utilized sizes (1/4 - .325 and then 3/8 & .404).
The 38594 style can be sources as a Stens product for as little as $5 ea.. and they tout a one year warranty against breakage (Yeah, try and get -that- honored -Hah!), and modifying the ram of my arbor press might require a square bottomed hole of specific depth? to best incorporate it (?). And I'm wondering what's the reason of the tapered groove in it's cylindrical area.
The more expensive "professional" 26870 (mentioned to me as used in "cast" version of the Oregon breakers) Looks to me, to place the force much closer to the point, wouldn't require a hole with a square bottom, or with a overly specific depth, other than, being -deep- enough so that the force is exerted on the collar -near the point-, instead of the blunt end in the depths of the well it fits into.
I'm going to add some pictures of these items, hoping that they are OK, and don't/won't lead to trouble for posting the images (??).
Thoughts, personal experiences, anything at all is what I'm looking for before I spend on these hardened metal tooling items

26870 punch.jpg38594 punch.jpg111939 anvil.jpg

The breaker I got, an Oregon made in Italy one has two punch choices one for the small 3/8lp (0.043 guage stuff Stihl 61 and Oregon 90) and the other one for essentially everything else. Since then Stihl has introduced a mini 1/4 chain perhaps code 71 it has 0.043 gauge drive links and also there is a mini .325 chain out there that I don't think is currently available any way but in loops. I suspect these would also use the smaller punch. I use the smaller punch for somewhat larger stuff if I will need to re spin the pressed apart parts.

Being able to see where the punch point contacts and that it stays as pressure is applied is key.

The spinner anvils are .325 and down and full size 3/8 and up perhaps something else for harvester stuff. That is what I am reading in post 1. I did not search out those part numbers.

My punch or breaker I have has a hole directly under the punch almost a half inch diameter. The 3/8lp and 1/4 slot on that multi anvil for the breaker is on the end and the hole and the end of the block share space. That adjustable vice thing is better but I think a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate over the hole would be an improvement.

The Oregon, Stihl, Carlton anvils are good quality hardened steel. The problem is finding anvils that fit the chain perfectly. Carlton 3/8LP fit the Oregon anvil perfect, but then the straps get stuck in the anvil and you have to pry them out. I switch between the 3 mentioned to find the best fit. Lot's of variation between the same manufacturer's version of chains such as VXL vs VX vs SG vs PX. Stihl are tough to punch because the rivet elongates as you press it and then you hit the bottom of the anvil and it's still connected. EXL chain rivets are very hard and tough to punch, similar to Stihl. .043 Oregon chains 90PX just bend when you try to press them. I have to grind the heads off them. I haven't found an anvil for 1/4 full house. It would probably have to be made by grinding down a full size anvil. I've never busted a punch on my press and I've done 100s of chains.

Latest posts

Back