Oregon chain won’t fit 36” Oregon bar, drive links are correct.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pheral

Reaction score
I have an Oregon bar- 36” .404 pitch 363RNFD009 to go on my 3120. It clearly says 104DL on the bar. I have two Oregon chains, 27AX and 27R both in 104DL and I can’t get them to go on the saw for the life of me.

The saw was used when I bought it. Is it possible the drive sprocket that was put on it to run 404 requires some extra links? Should I try a 106DL chain?

Welcome to A.S.!

Did the saw come with a chain?

Assuming that the drive sprocket, guide bar, and chain are compatible (pitch and gauge), drive link count would be the next thing to check.

Some sprockets have larger tooth counts, for increased speed, requiring additional drive links. Sometimes non-standard.

Easiest thing would be to take the saw and bar to a serving dealer that makes up chain loops from a 100’ reel. Pay him for that loop, and you will know for any future purchases.

Philbert

Welcome to A.S.!

Did the saw come with a chain?

Assuming that the drive sprocket, guide bar, and chain are compatible (pitch and gauge), drive link count would be the next thing to check.

Some sprockets have larger tooth counts, for increased speed, requiring additional drive links. Sometimes non-standard.

Easiest thing would be to take the saw and bar to a serving dealer that makes up chain loops from a 100’ reel. Pay him for that loop, and you will know for any future purchases.

Philbert
The drive links match, 104 on the bar and 104 on the chain. Counted twice to make sure.
The saw came with a 44” GB bar (128 dl I think) and a couple of chains. They fit just fine. I’ll check for a descrepency between those chains and the DLs listed on that bar in the morning.

The chain bar adjuster is backed right off? Sillier things have happened!
But if the chains are new, then yes the drive count can be correct (assuming you are running a 7 lug drive sprocket and not an 8?) but the chains are still tight as heck to get on a 36"+ bar the first time.
Usually it can be done by fitting the chain in the drive sprocket- slipping the bar over the studs and past the adjuster pin, bar held up at an angle- then fit the chain drivers to the bar nose sprocket and work the drive links into the bar rails. Once the drive links are in the rails and sprockets- you can USUALLY pull the bar forward to drop over the backed off bar adjuster pin.
If that does not work, then you might need to add a link- but check you are not trying to fit it on an 8 pin driver first. Once you get up to .404 the sprocket jump in size pretty quickly per addition.

Maybe it was just the tensioner... If it was me & that was the case I'd be keepin pretty quiet too :D
Chain tensioner was all the way in--plus on the 3120s the tensioner is on the brake cover, not the main housing.

It was the 8 tooth drive sprocket. Man, that extra link sure seems like a mile.
Thanks for the help guys.

Chain tensioner was all the way in--plus on the 3120s the tensioner is on the brake cover, not the main housing.

It was the 8 tooth drive sprocket. Man, that extra link sure seems like a mile.
Thanks for the help guys.
Well, if it were my saw- regardless of the fact it is the biggest Husqvarna offer- I would be dropping back to a 7 pin sprocket for a 36" .404 combination.

I’ve resorted to installing bar/chain/sprocket as a unit.

5469b80c6cf2669100799d6d7a6296bf.jpg

And, not shy about drilling another dog hole. (Not this particular bar but others.)

[emoji48]

Back