Oregon Website Changes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Big changes on the Oregon web site.

Familiar resources, like Googling 'Oregon Filing Angles' come back as 'page not found', or something similar.

Searching for the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual (an essential resource) yields
"Uh oh... The page you're looking for either no longer exists or is outdated and has been removed."
Hint: grab the European version while you can:
http://www.oregonproducts.eu/fileadmin/support/2_technical/maintemanual/MM_EN_EUR.pdf (*no skip chains listed?).

The classic Oregon Bar and Chain selector is not as user friendly. I wanted to look up a Dolmar PS7910: instead of the familiar drop-down menu, where you hunt for what you are looking for, and say 'there it is!", you have to type in the model the way they expect it. It did not recognize '7910', or 'PS7910', sending me back to square one, all over, each time. It wanted 'PS-7910'. Pretty fussy, rather than being accommodating and forgiving.

Looking for chain information, the site expects you to know the new marketing names for all of their chains (ControlCut Saw Chain, VersaCut Saw Chain, SpeedCut Saw Chain, DuraCut Saw Chain, AdvanceCut Saw Chain, PowerSharp Saw Chain), rather than comparing, telling you the difference, or letting you look by features such as: reduced kickback, full chisel, square ground, semi-skip, etc.

Same thing with bars ( ControlCut Guide Bars, VersaCut Guide Bar, SpeedCut Guide Bars, PowerCut Guide Bars, DuraCut Guide Bars, AdvanceCut Guide Bars, Single Rivet Guide Bars, Pro-Lite Sprocket Nose Bars, Carving Guide Bars). Maybe provide a key to laminated, replacable sprocket nose (RSN), hard nose, light weight, etc.

I felt lost. And I am a 'chain geek'.

Looks like a classic case of being organized by someone too familiar with their products, for people who will be unable to use it. Hopefully, they will bring in some objective focus groups to test it out and root out some of the navigation problems.

Maybe I will get used to it? Anyways, don't just go there expecting to find the stuff that has always been there; at least not in the same place. And if you have specific questions or concerns, please write them (I did!) at: [email protected]

Philbert

Big changes on the Oregon web site.

Familiar resources, like Googling 'Oregon Filing Angles' come back as 'page not found', or something similar.

Searching for the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual (an essential resource) yields
"Uh oh... The page you're looking for either no longer exists or is outdated and has been removed."
Hint: grab the European version while you can:
http://www.oregonproducts.eu/fileadmin/support/2_technical/maintemanual/MM_EN_EUR.pdf (*no skip chains listed?).

The classic Oregon Bar and Chain selector is not as user friendly. I wanted to look up a Dolmar PS7910; instead of the familiar drop down menu, where you hunt for what you are looking for, and say 'there it is!", you have to type in the model the way they expect it. It did not recognize '7910', or 'PS7910', sending me back to square one all over each time. It wanted 'PS-7910'. Pretty fussy, rather than being forgiving.

Looking for chain information, the site expects you to know the new names for all of their chains (ControlCut Saw Chain, VersaCut Saw Chain, SpeedCut Saw Chain, DuraCut Saw Chain, AdvanceCut Saw Chain, PowerSharp Saw Chain) and bars ( ControlCut Guide Bars, VersaCut Guide Bar, SpeedCut Guide Bars, PowerCut Guide Bars, DuraCut Guide Bars, AdvanceCut Guide Bars, Single Rivet Guide Bars, Pro-Lite Sprocket Nose Bars, Carving Guide Bars) rather than telling you the difference, or letting you look by features such as: reduced kickback, full chisel, square ground, semi-skip, etc.

I felt lost. And I am a 'chain geek'.

Looks like a classic case of being organized by someone too familiar with their products, for people who will be unable to use it. Hopefully, they will bring in some objective focus groups to test it out and root out some of the navigation problems.

Maybe I will get used to it? Anyways, don't just go there expecting to find the stuff that has always been there; at least not in the same place. And if you have specific questions or concerns, please write them (I did!) at: [email protected]

Philbert

Just like most products, when you find something you like, they come out with a "new and improved" version. I liked that product selection drop down menu. In the words of Drew Carey, "Bite me pig."

Good thing we got guys like you @Philbert that have allbthis good stuff saved....

Sure hope someone else eventually steps up and helps every one like you do!!!

Can you find this file. They changed the names but the lettering and numbering system seems pretty much the same at least since I got involved to a significant way. I print out the first page of this file.

I gave up trying to find a bar in 1/4 pitch.

Attachments

• Oregon Bar Mounts.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 13
I tried to use Oregon's website a week ago and was pissed about the useless new search feature was. I ended up sending an email to Blount about my dissatisfaction. There may be help in the future, as I received an email response the same day from Ms. Tammy Kelly of Blount saying they were aware of the problem after they launched their new website on August 8th and were going to make additional changes. What I don't understand is why when they already had a very useful database and search function before the switch, they couldn't just import it to the new Blount website. It makes no since to have to manually enter the model number of your saw after you select the manufacturer. What's worse, is when you enter a common model and the Blount database doesn't recognize it. No sophisticated modern database should require any user inputs, as all data fields should be populated with pull down information which the user can select.

Still having trouble finding things on the Oregon website. But here are a few tips:

Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual http://content.yudu.com/A1wz56/MaintManual2012/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=

Oregon 2017 Big Catalog (online version) http://content.yudu.com/web/y5b2/0A1k7eb/OregonBigCatalog2017/html/index.html

Oregon 'How-To' Videos https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/How-To-Videos

Oregon Product Manuals & Technical Information / Product Sheets (some) https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/product-manuals-and-technical-information

Contact 1-800-223-5168, Monday through Friday 6:30 AM - 4:00 PM PST

Philbert

Back