our old sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranchjn

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
double band saw with the saw dust burner nearby (which is barely standing)... use to run back in the day, now its sort of a monument :) sorry for the large size!

mill01.jpg

mill02.jpg

mill03.jpg

mill04.jpg

mill05.jpg

we logged ~1.3 million bf this past year (redwood+doug fir)...
smallttoraview.jpg

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Sweet. I love the look of old machinery. I not so sure on the color scheme, though.
:cheers:

actually this was all in my grandpas time. My dad used the mill to cut lumber to build his house. He actually built his house around the double bandsaw! because it was the late 60s early 70s, you can imagine some hippy deiciding to paint it pyschedelic colors. I would like to try to restore it as much as possible. I dont have 3 phase 220 running into my house, so i wont ever be able to get it running again unfortunately. I was wondering if any old timers on this board were familiar with Mershon, the company i assume, located in Boston, Mass. I guess i will google it and see if anything comes up but i doubt it.

Phase converters are somewhat simple to build if you really wanted to get it running. You can buy them but the ones I've seen are over a grand. Down side of a converter is they really suck the juice.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Phase converters are somewhat simple to build if you really wanted to get it running. You can buy them but the ones I've seen are over a grand. Down side of a converter is they really suck the juice.

thanks ill look into it... also, you can notice the old tracked logging arch they use to tow behind the BIG dozers to raise the logs on the right hand side of the last picture. That of course is no longer in use, however it is something from way back in the day when logging was big.

carvinmark said:
I thaught it was a gas or oil well.That must weigh alot.

haha most definetly! No piece of equipement i personally own can move it now that it is rusty and has been sitting in the same spot for so long. I will take some up close pictures of it for you guys, there are some dates and such on it!

BTW thanks for the forestryforum recomendations. Im still new here and trying to learn how everything works :)

Justin

Leave it to the Californians, thats the first Gay sawmill I have seen!

Just kidding, but the paint scheme is pretty funny. At least its protecting it from rusting away. Looks like a great piece of machinery and would be a blast to run.

Back