OWB Thermal Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandRidgeMill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has or has seen thermal indoor storage with a non-pressurized OWB. The idea has been on my mind, just havent sat down and figured out what it would take to make it happen. The reason I am wanting to do this, is, my OWB does not have the capacity to heat the square footage I am trying to heat. Wood boiler is 120gal, both buildings were built within the last 5 years and are insulated “well”. I enjoy the using the wood boiler but not enough to go spend 12k on a new larger unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will give you my take on doing this. There is no reason you can't. If you google Garn you will see that is what there are doing with the burner in the storage tank. You could batch burn your OWB and put the BTU's into a storage tank. I added another 3000 gallon storage tank to my Garn system so I have 5000 gallons of storage. Its works well having lots of storage. You just need to make sure your heat emitters are sized so you can still get enough BTU's out of lower temp water to keep your buildings warm. I normally run my storage temp up to around 190 and then pull it down to around 120-140 before I start batch burning to bring it back up to 190. It will take some pumps and controls and a storage tank but there is no reason you can't set your OWB to batch burn. The storage tank I added to my system was a old stainless steel milk transport tank off a truck. It was already insulated so I didn't even have to do that.

Back