P41

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatsfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
good morning. there's a really nice P41 for sale nearby. I googled these so I know the specs but have read they are hard and expensive to find parts for. would be my 1st Pioneer. any insight on this model would be welcome. thanks.

Excellent saw. At 65cc it's the smallest of the 4, 5 and 6 cubic inch saws and could be the best for general use. Only big problem could be the ignition units, high failure rate and very difficult to replace.

I was in orlando the last 3 days as I have been redoing the interior of my daughter's house over the last 3 months, a few days here and there. this saw was in orlando so normally I would have had to do a 4 hour round trip to look at it. had been eyeballing it on craigs for a few days. just got home with it about 40 minutes ago.

the fuel mix in the saw had a red oil in it and was rancid. I dumped it and put in some fresh mix. would not start. had great compression pulling the starter and drop testing. took off the air filter and dribbled in some mix and she fired up and revved with the trigger for a second and died. did that 4 or 5 times. dies as soon as the dribble of fuel runs out. not getting anything from the carb. not a surprise as it has sat for a long time and the fuel I dumped stunk.

guy was asking 150.00 and I gave him 100.00 as it didn't run. no idea what it's worth but I liked it even though it feels pretty heavy. it's not missing any parts and when I removed the muffler, the piston, and cylinder looked great. I was surprised the plastic air filter cover was in perfect condition as I have seen a lot of pictures of this style Pioneer with cracked and broken covers. doesn't look like it lived a hard life.

Keep an eye on your repair, that white plastic (nylon) is a very difficult material to find an adhesive that will bond to it. Sometimes it's better to "weld" the break with a soldering iron and plastic filler rod.
I used a hot glue gun. have flexed it with my hands and it feels very strong. will keep an eye on it.

is this a Tillotson carb? I put a small mirror down next to it and there was a number S147093. I don't want to pull it apart until I have the carb kit if possible. I read that some had walbro carbs. if Tillotson is carb kit RK-23HS correct?
View attachment 1086764

looks like to me

is this a Tillotson carb? I put a small mirror down next to it and there was a number S147093. I don't want to pull it apart until I have the carb kit if possible. I read that some had walbro carbs. if Tillotson is carb kit RK-23HS correct?
View attachment 1086764
Yeppers, looks like an HS to me, so your kit # should be correct.

Back