Pacific Energy Vista Door Air Wash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbrjackrussel

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have had this used stove about ten years, it was made in Dec 2005 ser WH-538682. It has always been hard to start a fire, if the ash dump is held open a bit it roars, as soon as the dump is closed the kindling dies quickly. Air control is open. Good dry wood, chimney 16 feet of ICC 6" insulated. The baffle, gasket, and all the baffle insulating pieces are good and in place.
Baffle and all air passages are clear. There are some cracks in the air passage that goes to the top of the door opening on the inside left and right corners. This I have seen on other Vista stoves.
The thing that I noticed to is that the door air wash opening across the top of the door frame is very small for about 50% or so of the width across. It is about 1mm or so and gets larger at the corners say about 6mm. My Drolet Savanah is about 6mm all the way across.
I was wondering if the PE Vista should be like it is or perhaps the metal warped and closed the gap. I tried to see if it could be bent but no, it is very strong.
Perhaps the air passage cracks are letting the air by pass the door wash. This air should after going down the inside of the door hits a metal deflector that sends it into the base of the fire (coals). The marks are from me seeing if the metal was could be moved. I hope someone can check their stove and see how wide the door air wash opening is on their stove and also check to see if their stove has any cracks in the air passage. Thank you
20200916_100207.jpg

My PE summit has a cery wide opening for the air wash.

Im not sure how much help i can be without seeing it happen in person so ill ask the basics.

How long has your wood dried AFTER its been split?

What kind of wood?

When it the last time the stove has been completely cleaned? Chimney too.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

My PE summit has a cery wide opening for the air wash.

Im not sure how much help i can be without seeing it happen in person so ill ask the basics.

How long has your wood dried AFTER its been split?

What kind of wood?

When it the last time the stove has been completely cleaned? Chimney too.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
The cedar kindling is very dry, made from split rails likely split more than 40 years ago. Stored indoors for the last ten years. Other wood is dry hard maple, ash, elm .
Stove ,baffles ,chimney all air passages checked and blown out with air last week.
The kindling will not start easily. If the ash dump door is opened a little the kindling lights and roars, but as soon as the dump is closed the kindling smolders and goes out.
I have installed and ran a Summit for a few years. The stove had about 28' of 6" chimney straight up, almost too much draft.
Wondering about the air wash gap size and
the cracks in the air passage. I will weld the cracks and see how it goes.

My Pacific Energy Super 27 stove has great draft and start up is super easy. Starting a fire is easier on this stove than any I have experience with.
Unfortunately I have no experience with your particular model.

My Pacific Energy Super 27 stove has great draft and start up is super easy. Starting a fire is easier on this stove than any I have experience with.
Unfortunately I have no experience with your particular model.
Thanks for the reply Ronaldo. I installed my Drolet Savannah in where the Pacific Energy Vista was. Big difference. The Drolet starts and burns great.
Brought the PE Vista home from the cottage to be examined more.
Your Super 27 likely has about the same door air wash outlet as my PE Vista.
If you look at the picture in my first post you would be able to see the difference as compared to yours. My vista air wash opening is only a bout 1mm. wide.
I found many cracks in the air passages on the inside and still wonder if the air wash outlet plate is warped.

Latest posts

Back