Pay It Forward brings 5 Free Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Man, what a day.
I stopped by the local NAPA store today to get two O rings for Mac oil plugs.
The guy that delivered for them I knew and I had taken a picture many years ago of him with a big buck he killed. The picture was wonderful, so I printed out a 8 X 10, framed it and sent it to him by a mutual friend.
Today I told him I had a new hobby of bringing dead saws back to life. He said I have 2 Stihl's and 2 Husky's that need to be put back together. I said how much. He said you remember that picture you sent me. I said yes. He said done deal.
Here is what I brought home.
Free Saws 1.jpg

2 Stihl's (Unknown Models) 1 Husky 550 XP and 1 Husky 350

Free Saws 2.jpg

The 550 XP is DOA and is missing parts.
Free 550 XP.jpg

The 350 shows promise. It's missing the clutch cover nuts, pull cord handle and muffler.
Free 350.jpg

Pretty good day uh?
Well less than a hour after I got home I got this FB message from a neighbor.
Free PL-4 II.jpg

I had to drive all of a 1/2 a mile to get this. It's all there and it is NOT locked up. 55 years old.
The recoil starter needs attention before I can look further and say more.

Free PL-4.jpg

Man what a day.

One good turn deserves another ! Nice find Clint , have fun bud ! ;)
It's just unbelievable. In the last two months when my friends found out I was looking for saws to bring back from the dead, I have been given 9 saws.
Lots of saws setting in barns that won't run. The Remington PL-4 my neighbor gave me today came from the county recycle/dump site. It was just setting there so he picked it up.
My problem is going to be once I get them running is keeping them in running condition by using them.

It's just unbelievable. In the last two months when my friends found out I was looking for saws to bring back from the dead, I have been given 9 saws.
Lots of saws setting in barns that won't run. The Remington PL-4 my neighbor gave me today came from the county recycle/dump site. It was just setting there so he picked it up.
My problem is going to be once I get them running is keeping them in running condition by using them.
Your living the good life Clint ..Cudo's !

Well the Husky 350 runs.
The carb needs cleaning. It won't continue to idle.
The oiler works.
The piston and cylinder walls that I can see through the exhaust looks great.
The recoil spring is weak.
No threads in either hole for the exhaust and I need a muffler.
It needs a mega cleaning inside and out.
I think it's worthy spending a little time and money on.
It was quicker to make a pull handle than trying to find one.
Free 350 1.jpg

Free 350 2.jpg

I have keenserted that muffler mount hole. The recoil spring probably just needs wound. If it has a plastic clamp between the intake boot and cylinder I'd make a plan to replace it.

I have keenserted that muffler mount hole. The recoil spring probably just needs wound. If it has a plastic clamp between the intake boot and cylinder I'd make a plan to replace it.
I've never used a keensert, but I know what it is. I've used heli coils before. I guess it's the same principle. After I find out what size i need I will do them.
Shoot. I shortened that cord 4 inches, but I have more.
Right now it seems not to have a air leak, but I will take your advice and replace the clamp.
Thanks very much for your input and advice.
Clint

I see a recoil side from a 046 and that poly flywheel was my clue to what looks like a 046.

Your living the good life Clint ..Cudo's !

Take the muffler off and measure the bore diameter. 52mm is 046.

Heli-coil would be fine too. I was just saying there's enough meat there to use a 'sert
Hi guys
I removed the mufflers from the two Stihl's that were given to me Monday and measure the bore diameter.
The saw with the poly flywheel measured 2 1/32 or 52mm. Which should make it a 046.
The piston looks good, but it's missing the ignition and carb.
The inside exhaust bolts were rolling around inside the muffler. LOL
Free 046 1.jpg

Free 046 2jpg.jpg

The other saw measure 1 7/8 on 48mm. Which should be a 036.
Free 044 1.jpg

Free 044 2.jpg

Both cylinders show promise.
Thanks for your help so far.
Clint

Back