Pecan trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFV

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am going to go help my cousin out with some storm damage these are some pretty big old trees. What do y’all think it will do for the health of the tree if when that branch comes off if I leave it jagged where it broke off so I don’t have to climb up there?

Attachments

• 148142DE-9B03-4E72-AD5E-AD7831771348.png
    148142DE-9B03-4E72-AD5E-AD7831771348.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
Looks like there is already decay in the pic, probably why it failed. I would trim it as well as can be done and hope for the best...

On a sidenote... and I may get flamed for this... in a storm situation like that, I believe it can be an exception to the rule of not spurring trims. Obviously you have a ton of work to do, and a light spur up to that point is probably not going to appreciably add to the stress that tree is already under. That is one of the reasons I climbed with pole spurs instead of tree spurs... in a situation like that ankles out, 7 or 8 light steps up, throw your lifeline over the crotch to the left for a second TIP, a quick cut and on to the next one. Storm work is a little different.

Latest posts

Back