Peculiar Carburetor Issue(s)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because, many moons ago, there was a large disagreement between the owners of this site and a group of members. Those members left this site and created/joined a site called 0pe forum .com and at least one of the owners on this site had the name of that offensive forum and any variation thereof censored.
All the while the owner of said unmentionable forum, HLSUPPLY was a sponsor of this site

Well that's the issue right there! All joking aside, I seem to recall someone (@Manic84 or @MacAttack ?) having a similar issue with a MM but I can't remember what the fix was.

It was MacAttack who had the flooding issue. His carb was a Walbro MDC, and after readjusting the metering lever, he was set. I haven't heard from him in a while though.

As for Heimannm's problem, it's real strange. I've never seen, or heard of a lever bending itself out of adjustment that quickly before.

I do however remember being completely stumped with a carb that would flood itself similar to what Heimannm's carb is doing. It was a Zama as well, an RB. I took it apart (again) and saw that the lever was stuck open. Like it was forced really hard. It would sit fine, then make a giant puddle where it would suddenly flood like mad. When it would run, it would flood out the engine and keep hemorrhaging fuel. I don't recall the lever ever coming out of adjustment though.
It would hold pressure, had no reason to, and wouldn't bind, and the needle would reseal and hold pressure.

I never bothered to do a deep dive into it to confirm what the problem was. I was so pressed for time, that I just swapped it. Like the others here, I did settle on the probability that it was/is a main check valve issue. As ignorant as it sounds, I believe that somehow pressure builds up and it overpowers the lever and it floods, or bypasses it completely and it floods.

The tip "swelling" could explain the one that flattened out and would not pull fuel, but what could cause the metering lever to bend the other way resulting in an over-rich condition?

Mark
Like other saws, that inlet lever runs off of the intake pulses, I think. I know that doesn't answer the initial question, just might give you a place to start. On anything fuel related I usually check the crankcase to make sure it's not filled with fuel. Possibly even an ignition not timed perfectly might alter the input pulse. Just guessing at this point..

Well that's the issue right there! All joking aside, I seem to recall someone (@Manic84 or @MacAttack ?) having a similar issue with a MM but I can't remember what the fix was.
Long time no see fellas, life has kept me busy.

My Mini Mac flooding / rich issues were due to the metering lever being set too high. One thing I would caution as a possible cause of the metering lever changing, if you adjust them too many times they WILL start to weaken. Think of the bending spoon magic trick where they bend a normal spoon back and forth just to point of nearly breaking.

I've lost at least one metering lever due to this effect. I wonder if there is a point at which the fuel pump pulse can actually bend a weakened lever??

Hi Mark,
The situation that I experienced was caused by an aftermarket metering diaphragm where the nub intersecting the lever was incorrectly finished (too high). I cant see how this would bend your lever up, but it did bend the levers on the HDC carbs down far enough that they would not draw fuel. If you still have the parts, compare an original Walbro HDC diaphragm with one of the aftermarket ones and see what you think. There are alot of these aftermarket HDC diaphragms floating around, so keep an eye out.

Back