People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Battery powered forklifts have been “standard“ in warehouses for many, many years. Of course, these are not hand held tools. But the improvements in battery technology have affected these as well.

Of course, ‘nuclear’ submarines and ‘diesel’ train locomotives are really ‘electric’. They seem to have plenty of power!

Philbert
Got into a tussle with someone the other day about that ("diesel" trains being electric) - apparently said person has a philosophical objection to googling anything, because he departed unconvinced.

How well do the battery saws work at 20 below zero I know my cell phone and lithium battery drills dont.
Kash
I’ve used mine down to about 20°F. I kept the spare batteries warm in an insulated, beverage “cooler“ in my vehicle. A coat pocket helps too.

As I have stated before, one of the big problems is the bar oil, which is not heated by any internal combustion engine. I thin mine out, using kerosene, and keep it warm in the house or vehicle until use.

Philbert

If bar oil did not work at 40 below zero the cutters supplying the paper mills would be out of business from Mid Nov till end of march plus a hell of a lot of home owners would be sol the winter of 1993 it was over 40 below for 18 nights straight.I have never thinned my bar oil.
Kash

Not sure this qualifies but I came a cross an advert at aliexpress; it was an original Sitil saw, complete with a 16" machete and an electric chain.

Was just gifted an Ego saw. It looks weird, it smells weird, it *sounds* weird, it works - quite well actually. But it's going to take a while to quit judging whether the chain is moving and how fast, just by sound (hopefully I will learn this before I remove some appendage), and it looks like a plastic toy, so I keep handling it like one.

On the plus side, I can learn to work with pretty much anything free...

Got into a tussle with someone the other day about that ("diesel" trains being electric) - apparently said person has a philosophical objection to googling anything, because he departed unconvinced.
So sort of related subject I have been Rigid cordless power tools for the past 8 years and so far very happy. But the batteries they come with are 2Ah because they want to keep the buy in price low. However a cordless mini angle grinder sucks up 2Ah very fast.
So today I took delivery of two 6Ah batteries which are knock offs. It will be interesting to see how these Chinese knock offs hold up compared to the Chinese ones with Rigids' name on them

I’ve used mine down to about 20°F. I kept the spare batteries warm in an insulated, beverage “cooler“ in my vehicle. A coat pocket helps too.

As I have stated before, one of the big problems is the bar oil, which is not heated by any internal combustion engine. I thin mine out, using kerosene, and keep it warm in the house or vehicle until use.

Philbert
Actually had a opposite problem with my cordless power tools, after running the battery down it was too hot to charge and the charger wouldn't charge as long as the heat symbol was on, so I stick in the beer fridge to cool them off so they take a charge.
I have no idea if this is safe or detrimental to the battery, but I do it. At least they are not hot enough to affect the beer.

Actually had a opposite problem with my cordless power tools, after running the battery down it was too hot to charge and the charger wouldn't charge as long as the heat symbol was on, so I stick in the beer fridge to cool them off so they take a charge.
I have no idea if this is safe or detrimental to the battery, but I do it. At least they are not hot enough to affect the beer.
The problem would be when you start out your session, once the battery's gets tempered they perform.
They would need to be pretty cold not to perform.

Back