People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got you, so not a percentage, and not a standard measurement at all. We'd need to know what percentage of the energy in the fuel going in is turned into rotary motion at the output, to be able to compare to anything else.

Right now, energy input vs. work output, electric motors absolutely kick the stuffing out of anything combustion based. That's how a battery pack that holds the equivalent energy of three gallons of gasoline can provide any kind of reasonable range in an EV.

Jason sums it up well here:

Next they are going to claim that electric heat is better than wood heat.
Depends on what you call "better".

Collecting wood for me costs about $50/cord in direct costs. Cost of the firewood permit, gas for the truck and saw. Completely ignoring the cost of the truck, saw, splitter, and the enormous amount of manual labor involved. We burn about a cord a month.

My heat pump costs about $50/month to run, and keeps the house at any temperature we want, winter or summer. Completely ignoring the cost of the heat pump, although it was less than the truck. Total manual labor involved is pushing a button on the wall.

Both heat sources have their place, but blanket statements that wood is "better" is a very tough case to make.

Collecting wood for me costs about $50/cord in direct costs. Cost of the firewood permit, gas for the truck and saw. Completely ignoring the cost of the truck, saw, splitter, and the enormous amount of manual labor involved. We burn about a cord a month.

My heat pump costs about $50/month to run, and keeps the house at any temperature we want, winter or summer. Completely ignoring the cost of the heat pump, although it was less than the truck. Total manual labor involved is pushing a button on the wall.

Both heat sources have their place, but blanket statements that wood is "better" is a very tough case to make.
I've made the statement a few times, unless the wood is free (or next to free) it's cheaper to heat with something else.

I've made the statement a few times, unless the wood is free (or next to free) it's cheaper to heat with something else.
The time and labor is what makes wood expensive. If I had wood and equipment on my property, that might change the equation.

I really like wood heat. Frequently find myself standing near the wood stove, even during the summer, just because I associate the wood stove with comfort. I like going to the woods, using the saw, using a camp stove and making breakfast and coffee in the woods before firing up the saw. We had a six day power outage a couple years ago due to an ice storm, and having zero concerns about keeping my medically fragile girlfriend warm cut the stress of the situation considerably. I'll always have a wood burner and a couple years of wood on hand.

In comparison, it takes ~3 hours at my day job to earn enough to cover my monthly power bill. Bet I have POs in my inbox right now that'll pay enough commission to pay the power bill. I like wood heat, it just doesn't make sense to use as the main heat source.

The time and labor is what makes wood expensive. If I had wood and equipment on my property, that might change the equation.

I really like wood heat. Frequently find myself standing near the wood stove, even during the summer, just because I associate the wood stove with comfort. I like going to the woods, using the saw, using a camp stove and making breakfast and coffee in the woods before firing up the saw. We had a six day power outage a couple years ago due to an ice storm, and having zero concerns about keeping my medically fragile girlfriend warm cut the stress of the situation considerably. I'll always have a wood burner and a couple years of wood on hand.

In comparison, it takes ~3 hours at my day job to earn enough to cover my monthly power bill. Bet I have POs in my inbox right now that'll pay enough commission to pay the power bill. I like wood heat, it just doesn't make sense to use as the main heat source.
It's our main heat source. I don't mind heating with wood, it's always been supplemental on the farm and at my parents place, however having nothing else does tie us down a good bit over winter. I wish we would have installed gas or oil when we bought the house and used the wood furnace as supplementary heat. But like you say, when the power goes out I couldn't care less about keeping the house warm. Just open the plenum up and the heat circulates by itself, not as efficiently as with the fan, but it keeps the house warm.

You are alone...your point is mute

During the warmer months my utility bill runs about 150 a month . If I were to use the electric heat it would easily be 800 a month plus . Oil and propane last winter was over $4 a gallon .
So wood is my main heat source

Straight resistance electric heat, or heat pump? Big difference.
1970s era resistance . It would take years to break even with the installation of a heat pump and ducts or ductless system I’ve looked . Couple that to the extremely high utility rates and frequency of power outages they don’t make sense for me . And even the new low temp heat pumps aren’t that good with the temps we have here .

1970s era resistance . It would take years to break even with the installation of a heat pump and ducts or ductless system I’ve looked . Couple that to the extremely high utility rates and frequency of power outages they don’t make sense for me . And even the new low temp heat pumps aren’t that good with the temps we have here .
It's definitely not for everyone, and everyone should do what makes the most sense for themselves.

Until you are up north in a cabin, with a lattern, and every blanket you can find, and your breath in the dim light concerns you.....until the wood burner begins to make copious heat.

At that point, you don't count pennies.......

You are thankful there was a solution, and it was warm.

Hello,
Haven't been on here lately, but I am in the need for a new chain saw. My Wen 2 cycle gave up while cutting down a large tree. I'm getting in the age where pulling the rope doesn't work for me anymore.

I'm looking a buying a battery operated 14" saw. My search has shown that I can get a Kobalt
Model KCS1040A03 40V 14" SAW W/4.0AH BATTERY AND CHARGER $120.00
Shipping: $30.00

But after watching video of a guy using the Kobalt, it looked like it was always struggling. I think I am leaning towards the Ryobi HP Brushless Chainsaw Kit RY405100 40V 4.0 Ah Battery + Charger, Cordless $209.99

Anybody have any experience with either of these saws ?

Richard

Hello,
Haven't been on here lately, but I am in the need for a new chain saw. My Wen 2 cycle gave up while cutting down a large tree. I'm getting in the age where pulling the rope doesn't work for me anymore.

I'm looking a buying a battery operated 14" saw. My search has shown that I can get a Kobalt
Model KCS1040A03 40V 14" SAW W/4.0AH BATTERY AND CHARGER $120.00
Shipping: $30.00

But after watching video of a guy using the Kobalt, it looked like it was always struggling. I think I am leaning towards the Ryobi HP Brushless Chainsaw Kit RY405100 40V 4.0 Ah Battery + Charger, Cordless $209.99

Anybody have any experience with either of these saws ?

Richard
You'll likely get a better response if you start a new thread, vs. replying to an existing un-related thread.

Post a link to the video, lots of people here who will give their opinion.

I was cutting up storm-downed 30" madrone with my little 16" b/c on the 540i yesterday. Multiple oaks tangled up in it with multiple points of tension. Second battery on the same chain and she was still sending noodles and fat chips.

Cut from the far side like preserving a saw-log.

I'm getting away from gas and going mostly battery, save for the big saws. I'm hoping to try milling with the battery saw next summer (or whenever time allows me.)20230719_120238.jpg

I have a Kobalt 24 volt saw that actually is ok for a cheap saw. I did not buy it, but a customer me and the wife built fence for gave to us as a gift of appreciation. Brand new in box. Took about 10 charges to get the battery up to par, but a handy saw for that one little tree limb or stump in the way, and for cutting brace rails. I just hope battery saws never take over though, because how the heck we gonna argue about 2 cycle oil and what ratio to mix it?

Back